Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Acrylic + Thinners Ratio

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
bit of advice needed.

im looking at spraying a bit of aluminum (approx 240x50) with acrylic black paint. i was hoping to spray it either this sunday or monday, weather around 21-24 degrees.

now from memory the ratio was 1:1.5 (1 litre paint, 1.5 litres thinners) just want to clarify thats correct and if anyone else has any general advice.

cheers

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
yeh 1:1.5 is about what we mixed it at mate!

good luck with the painting!

are u priming it too?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh 1:1.5 is about what we mixed it at mate!

good luck with the painting!

are u priming it too?

yep ive got it sittin in primer now. had the heat lamps on it today

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
yeh sweet, 1:1.5 should be fine, ask ARI anyway he knows his painting **** really well

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
bit of advice needed.

im looking at spraying a bit of aluminum (approx 240x50) with acrylic black paint. i was hoping to spray it either this sunday or monday, weather around 21-24 degrees.

now from memory the ratio was 1:1.5 (1 litre paint, 1.5 litres thinners) just want to clarify thats correct and if anyone else has any general advice.

cheers

I hope you etch primed that aluminium first Jecs. For a better finish use a high quality acrylic thinner( not multi purpose or that **** you buy from SCA). With acrylic, if the ambient temp is over 20 degrees, I'd be using retarder as well why you not using 2k for such a small part?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I hope you etch primed that aluminium first Jecs. For a better finish use a high quality acrylic thinner( not multi purpose or that **** you buy from SCA). With acrylic, if the ambient temp is over 20 degrees, I'd be using retarder as well why you not using 2k for such a small part?

lol dude u blew my mind. im not a panel beater.

heres what i did. scotch bright the fk out of it, prepsol it, used primer i had around.

i dont know how to mix 2pac and i cant remember the steps with it. using acrylic is alot more user friendly

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
You should really etch prime aluminium, but in saying that, sounds like you've taken the time to scotch brite and clean properly. Just don't lay the first couple of coats on too thick. Take your time. Double your amount of thinners in your last couple of coats and you won't have to cut the fk out of it to bring up the gloss. Good luck.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You should really etch prime aluminium, but in saying that, sounds like you've taken the time to scotch brite and clean properly. Just don't lay the first couple of coats on too thick. Take your time. Double your amount of thinners in your last couple of coats and you won't have to cut the fk out of it to bring up the gloss. Good luck.

cheers, thanks for that man. ill double the thinners in the last coats. see how it turns out

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
Being a small part, if you fk it up, it's easy enough to sand and start again. Don't forget pics when your done.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
lol dude u blew my mind. im not a panel beater.

heres what i did. scotch bright the fk out of it, prepsol it, used primer i had around.

i dont know how to mix 2pac and i cant remember the steps with it. using acrylic is alot more user friendly

we spray painters get a kick out of when someone replies to paint advice with that line. i lol'd most panel beaters couldnt answer a paint question with a gun to their head...

what kind of elements will this aluminium be subjected to? indoor outdoor? also i know showbags has suggested to double your thinners on the last coat, just be careful, it goes on easier than it comes off. it wouldnt even hurt to test it on a scrap piece as a dry run so that you dont end up having to rubbing runs back (unless your painting flat) and recoating your larger one. adjust your gun and do test patterns before letting it rip...