Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

adding amp to factory HU & other ideas...

A

AbsolutNerd

Alright, lets see if I can get this out in the simplest manner possible. :rolleyes:

I have a 2000 series 2 VT wagon with the Eurovox cd/cassette. The cd player is stuffed (previous owner's kids put coins in it) but this doesn't bother me as I use an iPod and I like the factory look. Since I bought the car I've installed 6" Pioneer 260w 4-ways in the front doors.

What I don't like about this setup is the sound quality, which is obvious with a factory head unit, the lack of power to the aftermarket speakers (again, factory head unit), and the lack of an amp and sub (again, factory head unit).

What I'm wondering is...first of all, can anyone think of a way to hardwire the signal from the iPod to the head unit so I don't have to use the tape adapter. Secondly, a way to add an amp for the front speakers, and an amp to hook a sub up to.

Just from reading what I wrote above, it does sound a little too complicated, i.e. lack of adjustable sub crossover/hi-pass/lo-pass/sub level in the head unit, or that I'd have to add them.

Can anyone think of a more simple way to do this???

Sorry if this post came out a complete mess!

P.S.- NO I DO NOT WANT TO USE AN FM MODULATOR OR MP3 CDS!

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Yes

Yes it is possible...however its not easy.

1st - The iPOD:
If you are comportable with opening the old unit up, as in pulling it out and open ing the casing, then you can hardwire it. You will need a 3.5mm Jack to split l,r channels. Ie, pair of head phones with speakers cut off. From there you could cut the cd audio l,r sends from the cd player to the PCB and solder the two ends from you earphone jacks to the terminals. This however may cause difficuties with audio gain. IT would have to be tested with alot.

2nd - Speakers:
If you want to set up two amps, i would reccomend a high/lo pass filter and then a splitter/amplifier box. You could then run the speaker sends into the filter, then split them into wo channels from which you could then run to your desired amplifiers.

Conclusion - The cost of time and materials for this exercise is almost less than the cost of a seconda hand one from ebay.

Hope THis Helps.

aZk.

A

AbsolutNerd

Your conclusion...did you mean that's a good thing or a bad thing???

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Why don’t you just get one of those FM modulator things for your i-pod.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
There is nothing wrong with buying an INLINE fm modulator. He was only trying to help.

A

AbsolutNerd

trunkrattler said:
There is nothing wrong with buying an INLINE fm modulator. He was only trying to help.

Read the bottom line of my post. I know what he was talking about, and I put that there JUST to save people from making posts like that.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
You didn't state why. With the effort you will have to go through to get a line signal into your head unit....you may as well just buy an aftermarket head unit..... The inline modulators are well worth the effort to INSTALL, yes they must be installed because they are a direct feed into the head unit. Deal with it.