Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adding Driving Lights to VZ S Ute

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series II Monaro CV8 Redhot
Hi, great forum and I'm glad I found the place! :D

Does anyone know if it is possible to add factory driving lights to the VZ S Ute?
The front bar does look like the SS/SV6/SV8 bar and I am hoping the factory lights will somehow go in....

F

Fitzy44

I'd be surprised if it's that simple. I have a VY-II Crewman "S" (although I have a VZ "SS" on order to pickup next week) and the "S" (VY-II) has a totally different airdam under the bumper.

I made the same enquiry at the dealership after I bought my "S" and I was told that you had to buy the "SS" airdam and it was not cheap. So I abandoned the idea. :cry:

00belly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
You certainly can, I have a mate who had them installed on his VZ S Ute on its first service. Sorry I can't recall the price off my head, I will find out though and I know he managed to get quite a good discount.

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
Hey all,

I got the gear last week from my local holden, 2x Fog Lamps, Mounting Hardware (4 bolts, 2 nuts), Relay and new dash Switch for about $280, however the wiring is not there in the VZ ute (although the S pack has the same bar), so it needs to go to the auto electrician to get the wiring from the lights -> relay -> switch etc, I'm getting a price on that tomorrow. They said that the wiring was only there in the VY Series I utes.

I promise I'm not going to use them unless its foggy, or to flash them at idiots who drive around with them on all the time.

Also picked up a lower grill insert off the SS Sedan, to fill that hole down the bottom of the kit, worth about $23 :) just had to glue it into position.

Got a price on a high mounted tail stop lamp and new cover for the back too, but its about $240 before painting and the wiring isn't there for that either.

B

BJS

Yeah piece of cake I got the lights of the dealer for $158. My auto electrician said the cheapest way wuold be to just put a seperate switch under the dash or steering wheel or where ever, instead of ripping the dash out to fit the propper one in. No price yet, gets done in 2 weeks...

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
Boeing777 said:
Hey all,

I got the gear last week from my local holden, 2x Fog Lamps, Mounting Hardware (4 bolts, 2 nuts), Relay and new dash Switch for about $280, however the wiring is not there in the VZ ute (although the S pack has the same bar), so it needs to go to the auto electrician to get the wiring from the lights -> relay -> switch etc, I'm getting a price on that tomorrow. They said that the wiring was only there in the VY Series I utes.

I promise I'm not going to use them unless its foggy, or to flash them at idiots who drive around with them on all the time.

Also picked up a lower grill insert off the SS Sedan, to fill that hole down the bottom of the kit, worth about $23 :) just had to glue it into position.

Got a price on a high mounted tail stop lamp and new cover for the back too, but its about $240 before painting and the wiring isn't there for that either.

777 have you fitted/wired in your lights yet?
Mine are fitted, just haven't wired them in yet.

I also fitted the grill insert, I was lucky as my bar had two of the lugs still on it up the top so I was able to use these to attach it. It appears these get cut off for some reason on the utes... Still can't work out why the utes don't get the lower grill and the sedans do and Holden actually go to the expense/time of removing the lugs from the bars. Must be a reason the utes don't have them?!?

C

commodore_vy

Ive fitted the driving lights to my ute....
and wired em up myself...

looks good...just a small switch on the steering wheel colum panel...the lower one...its the easiest to remove...ill take a pic if ya want its easy to do..if ya in syd ...pm me and maybe we can meet up...

Utester

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore_vy said:
Ive fitted the driving lights to my ute....
and wired em up myself...

looks good...just a small switch on the steering wheel colum panel...the lower one...its the easiest to remove...ill take a pic if ya want its easy to do..if ya in syd ...pm me and maybe we can meet up...

Keen to see some photos if you have them.
How did you wire them up, off highbeam?

I'm in Perth, unfortunately a bit far.

C

commodore_vy

Utester said:
Keen to see some photos if you have them.
How did you wire them up, off highbeam?

I'm in Perth, unfortunately a bit far.
Yeah sorry dont get on here much.....off the high beam i installed a switch so the high beam has to be on to enable the driving lights to be operational....also allows the quickest reaction to turn em off....PLUS its the legal way to do it.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
Boeing777 said:
Hey all,

I got the gear last week from my local holden, 2x Fog Lamps, Mounting Hardware (4 bolts, 2 nuts), Relay and new dash Switch for about $280

i got quoted around 500 bucks for all parts and no installation...

EDIT: do you still happen to have the part numbers?