Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adding switch to clutch pedal for cruise control

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
As the title states, I'm wanting to put a switch for my clutch pedal to cancel cruise. I know how to go about fitting one to the pedal assembly. (Already had a read on the forums on how to do that.)
Just needing to know how to wire it up. If it helps I have two pedal switches on the brake and they have two lots of wiring going into them (4 wires for each switch). I'm assuming one is cruise switch and other is brake switch, but why is there 4 wires for each switch instead of just two like some other models?

Last edited:

flexcenlexcen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 auto acclaim and vn lexcen v6 manual
i was looking at those plugs just yesterday i think the brown plugs are the brake lights and the other black ones and gray one are the cruise control ones
just work out the ones to the cruise control and splice into them and run over to a switch on the clutch

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The VN/VP wiring diagrams I have do not show the clutch switch, but it shows the two brake switches. A Grey/green wire goes from the cruise control switch , down to both the brake switches and then onto the cruise module via a Brown wire.. Id just wire up the Grey/green wire to the clutch switch inline with the two brake switches..

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VN/VP wiring diagrams I have do not show the clutch switch, but it shows the two brake switches. A Grey/green wire goes from the cruise control switch , down to both the brake switches and then onto the cruise module via a Brown wire.. Id just wire up the Grey/green wire to the clutch switch inline with the two brake switches..

Wouldn't you need to wire up two wires not just the grey/green wire?
And it doesn't need to be wired in series?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Wouldn't you need to wire up two wires not just the grey/green wire?
And it doesn't need to be wired in series?

Yes you would obviously need to run a wire from the other side of the switch to the next switch inline, and yes you would wire it inline or in series, same thing.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes you would obviously need to run a wire from the other side of the switch to the next switch inline, and yes you would wire it inline or in series, same thing.

Ok, thanks just wanted to make sure :)

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
I think you would need to wire switches in parallel so that either switch will de-activate the cruise.

If you wire them in series you would have to press both brake and clutch to de-activate cruise.

circuit.png

Last edited:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The two brake switches are wired inline according to the wiring diagram, so a clutch switch should also wire up inline, that way either brake or clutch pedal will kill the cruise.. If they were wired parallel you would need to close both brake and clutch switches at the same time to kill the cruise.

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
The two brake switches are wired inline according to the wiring diagram, so a clutch switch should also wire up inline, that way either brake or clutch pedal will kill the cruise.. If they were wired parallel you would need to close both brake and clutch switches at the same time to kill the cruise.

Check my edited post above now with image :-

In parallel, either Switch S1 or S2 will provide a path from Point P1 to P2

In series, both Switches S3 and S4 need to be closed to provide a path from Point P3 to P4

Basic electrical theory......

bundybear75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
Check my edited post above now with image :-

In parallel, either Switch S1 or S2 will provide a path from Point P1 to P2

In series, both Switches S3 and S4 need to be closed to provide a path from Point P3 to P4

Basic electrical theory......

However, if the cruise switches are normally closed switches, I am totally wrong....