Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

adelaide to perth in a VS

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
a spare coil pack? theyre $130

If you are concerned over the price of a coilpack I would probably not be driving that distance, my rule of thumb is only make long drives if you can afford for things to go wrong.

If in doubt, fly

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
thanks mate

god knows what to do if im half way across and she snaps a piston rod or something

Rods don't just break. You'd need to be doing something pretty damn stupid to break one. People turbo stock ecotecs and seem to be able to get away with it without too much trouble. They're not a fragile engine by any means. IMO there's a higher probability of mechanical failure in the newer alloytecs than there is with the old ecotecs.

Cast iron block, cast iron heads and pushrods is about as simple as it gets. You'd probably even be able to change a head gasket in a few hours if you had the tools and a bit of knowledge (or the interweb :p)

ps add a dfi module to that bag of parts.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
After all of that good advice.
coolant change/thermostat/oil and filter change/gearbox service.
Check tyres.
You can`t do much more go and have a good drive.

As been said can be very boring so have a few stops.
On the way back from WA in a bus close curtains watch movie 1.5 Hrs. later open curtains everything looks the same.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Rods don't just break. You'd need to be doing something pretty damn stupid to break one. People turbo stock ecotecs and seem to be able to get away with it without too much trouble. They're not a fragile engine by any means. IMO there's a higher probability of mechanical failure in the newer alloytecs than there is with the old ecotecs.

Only way I could see a rod breaking on a highway trip is if it spins a bearing and seizes.

My old engine spun a main bearing while cruising, could have led to grenading if I kept driving it and it siezed.

But thats worst case senario, the bottom ends are pretty solid on the Ecotecs, if anything the trans will let go first.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Only way I could see a rod breaking on a highway trip is if it spins a bearing and seizes.

My old engine spun a main bearing while cruising, could have led to grenading if I kept driving it and it siezed.

But thats worst case senario, the bottom ends are pretty solid on the Ecotecs, if anything the trans will let go first.

And if worst comes to worst slash wrists

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
I drove from Perth to Melbourne

And if worst comes to worst slash wrists

A couple of years back in my VS Caprice, 3.5 days door to door. Didn't miss a beat. Long distance cruising puts very little stress on a car/engine. Its all the stop start stuff that does that

Full service. Go round and visually check all lights, bolts, tyres, make sure your mudflaps are tight, wheel nuts, all that sort of thing. You know, just take a beer and slowly move around your car and LOOK. LOOK!

Take spare tyre, tools, plugs, belts, enough coolant for a FULL change. Fix a flat in case of a second blow out. No point being stuck on the side of the road because of a cheap belt or you havent hit the next roadhouse to get your flat fixed.

Take spare DRINKING water. It can get very hot out there, especially if you waiting for a tow. 2 litres per person is a good guide. You may be waiting for a few hours. Broad brimmed hat.

Pump your tyres up a bit. I was at 50PSI coming over, but that was a fully laden car at high speed.

Avoid dusk and dawn driving and do NOT drive at night unless you really really have too. Make sure when you stop for fuel, you get out, stretch, have a coffee and something to eat. You know. Take your time. Stop and check out the scenery when you can. Its rather pretty

Common sense and you should be fine. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Turn on cruise at speed limit plus 10, climate, stereo and start singing.

*edit*

Oh and if something DOES go bang, its like an unwritten rule out there. Someone will stop for you and at least let the next roadhouse know you have broken down and they will send a tow truck. Most of them have rooms so if worst comes to worst you can stay the night. Holden parts are plentiful and even if it is something MAJOR, it can be thrown on the next truck coming over.

Have a blast dude :)

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Yeah you will be fine....just get yourself the top of the line RAA road service (about 180$) if you brake down you will get towed/fixed, and if its real bad you get a motel room and help with transport...as the saying go's if you got it you wont need it ;)

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
As Wozza suggests RAA can be a godsend sometimes. As far as coolant goes just take a small bottle of concentrate and say 20L container of water. The biggest killer by far out there is dehydration. BTW heard of the egg in the radiator trick?

If you stick to the highway you should be fine but if you are planning a scenic drive or somehow get lost a satellite phone is good insurance.

I hope were not putting you off it should be a great experience, if a little boring.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
All this talk or desert and running out of food and water brings 127 hours to mind...

But let's hope it doesn't come to that