Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adjust check straps or replace

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
So the check strap is shitting it on my vt series 1, well it's lowered the door and is quite a challenge to open (clunks into each groove when opening) is it possible to lift the door up via jack and adjust it somehow? Or just replace the buggers?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Replacing the check strap will fix the clunking but it will do nothing for the alignment of the door, for that I would be looking at the hinge pins which may be worn and need replacing. Lift the door up and down with the door open and look for movement at the hinges.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
May be the Door Lock Striker needs adjusting........?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
When you have the check strap out grab a mirror and look in from the outside (where it went through the door and attaches to the body).

VT/VX doors have a tendency to tear where the 2 bolts attach it to the door, needless to say this is a bitch to fix... you can dodgy it up after panel beating it back into place and using a couple of decent thickness washers (this is temporary but stops it from tearing further)

Hopefully you don't find this problem.