Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

adjusting paint in the tin

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
iv had a bit of a look and it seems that people just buy the paint they want when they spray their car. and fair enough really. makes perfect sense. but what if ur like me and bought paint for a project that never left the starting block and now want to use it but its not quite the way u imagine?

what im talking about is, i have 6L of a colour called lone o'ranger orange. its an old torana colour. i like the colour but want to really make it sparkle in the sun. so iv been thinking about getting some metal flake off ebay and stickin it into the paint with the hope of it working.
so my question, is that all i have to do? stick the flake in and spray? or does it really need to go into the clear?

iv spoke to a few local spray shops and they wont tell me anything. just look at me blankly or say theyd rather just do the job and keep theyre lips sealed.

help!!!

base308

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore and vz ss
from my small understanding of metallic paints the flake is in the paint but its the clear that makes it shine and gleam but since you have 6l why not just test it on a small patch

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if its base and clear system should work fine

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
iv seen a car that had a black base with tons and tons of purple flake in and it looked wild so i know it can be done like that. and thats probly the way i will do it too. but i was hoping for a more blended look where the flake was more of a subtle glow than a stand out glitter. my theory is that putting a flake into a gloss base will just colour the flake and it will just make the paint textured instead. think dipping ur finger into coloured paint. what comes out? a shiny finger or a coloured finger? so unless someone can guarantee (or has had the experience of) that putting the flake into the colour will work as per "normal" metallic ill do it that way, otherwise it will just go into the clear.

Bellicose

Reaction score
Members Ride
TOW PIG
klampy, you're right in what you say above. If the metallic or flake is not part of the original formula then it will get lost in the orange. I suggest laying down some colour on a test panel, buy some powder pearl, orange or ice white would look good. Then mix some powder pearl in some 2pack clear and start laying it over the orange. It doesn't matter if your paint is base coat/clear coat or 2 pack because 2pack clear will go over 2pack colour, but first give the colour a couple days to harden then flatteen with some 800 wet.
When you add the powder pearl to the clear, take note of the amount you put into clear and take note of how many coats of clear you put on to get the effect you want.

Hope that makes sense mate lol.

Orange with orange pearl over the top.

Attachments

• this.jpg
    this.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 359
  • w.jpg
    w.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,465