Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Price to paint?

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
Can anyone give a ballpark figure to paint the front guard on a VE? I could bog and imperfections and sand back ready for paint plus clearcoat if used, I dunno how professional garages do it other than with a spray gun lol, but yeah will just want it sprayed to finish.

Cheers

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Can anyone give a ballpark figure to paint the front guard on a VE? I could bog and imperfections and sand back ready for paint plus clearcoat if used, I dunno how professional garages do it other than with a spray gun lol, but yeah will just want it sprayed to finish.

Cheers
It must be about 7-8 years ago when I had to get the guard on a then owned VZ R8 repainted after scraping the side of our garage door. They had to bog up the scrape in the guard as well. From memory it was $500 cash.

Edit. i have been quoted $200 to paint the panel below the front window of my VH. However that would be going through the books.

Both cases are a bit different to yours in that they had or will have to do the prep work.

Last edited:

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
It must be about 7-8 years ago when I had to get the guard on a then owned VZ R8 repainted after scraping the side of our garage door. They had to bog up the scrape in the guard as well. From memory it was $500 cash.

Edit. i have been quoted $200 to paint the panel below the front window of my VH. However that would be going through the books.

Both cases are a bit different to yours in that they had or will have to do the prep work.
Yeah I'd be happy to prep it as I know the prep labour can be a fair chunk of the price. Need both front guards doing really so maybe phone around hey. Was just looking for ballpark really but interested in price to just paint and also price to prep and paint... Cheers

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
go and get a quote the panel beater wont bite you. then you'll know if they will let you prep it plenty don't want a bar of someone else saying they'll rub it down about $600 I'll guess the quote will be.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A guard with a couple of scratches alone, no other repairs needed is about $400. Prepping it yourself might add another $300, or they might just show you the door.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Being a red car it will need to be blended out to the surrounding panels or it will stand out even worse than before the paint job.

Even the single greatest painter on earth won't be able to match a 15 year old red car, basically the paint needs to be blown (blended) out to the door, bonnet and bumper to make it look even half passable, or don't bother.

You'd be better off buying a second hand red guard that will likely match up better if it's just to make the car look presentable to sell it (reading your other thread).

Theres a reason why even minor fender benders cost thousands of dollars in repairs through insurance, it's because it's not as simple as just painting the panel and putting it on.

For example when my VE ute was rear ended. A new bumper and tailgate wasn't as simple as a new bumper and tailgate, the paint had to be blended all the way to the doors which on a ute is a massive job. Just a simple bumper/tailgate replacment was $8000 to make the car all one colour properly.

Trust me, if you put fresh paint on a single panel on a red car, you'll spot it 20 feet away even if the cars had a full paint correction/detail. Red starts fading/reacting to UV the second it rolls off the production line which is why red cars tend to wear the worst in terms of paint quality.

Source: I've done 20 years of painting as a hobby and the son of an ex panel beater/holden paint tech.

This is generally what a red car will look like if you give the painter your colour code then put a freshly painted panel next to a 15 year old paint job. And you'll never think your paint is as bad as it is, until you see it next to a freshly painted panel. A good painter will be able to try and match the paint as best as possible rather than just working off the colour code, but it will still be super noticable.
7qSwJZL.jpg

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You'd be better off buying a second hand red guard that will likely match up better if it's just to make the car look presentable to sell it (reading your other thread).
The only issue might be in finding a HSV guard, in red as well which narrows it down even more.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The only issue might be in finding a HSV guard in red as well which narrows it down even more.
This is true, however in my opinion, even if the guard was $1000-1500 for a second hander it's still gonna be cheaper and a better result than repairing/blending out/painting the guard thats on it.

IMO that Clubby has enough issues before you even start worrying about fixing paint/panels, no offence to Paul but I've been following that HSV thread for a while and I reckon the overall paint job on that cars about a 4/10. And thats not his fault thats just 15+ years in QLD weather ......I'd just cut your losses and sell it for what you can if it was me.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This is true, however in my opinion, even if the guard was $1000 for a second hander it's still gonna be cheaper and a better result than repairing/blending out/painting the guard thats on it.
That's true. There was a member recently who had to get their hard lid painted through insurance IIRC. It was red and the first mob botched it.