Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advanced Driving Courses

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hello all,

After teaching prac is over in 7 weeks time am thinking of treating myself to an advanced driving course of some description. I got my licence in 2000, did a basic defensive driving course in 2005 under the AAMI Skilled Driver program, think it may be time for a refresher. There seems to be 2 levels - a basic defensive driving course focusing on accident avoidance and attitude, setting up the vehicle etc. There is then a more advanced level focusing on skid control.

So who here has done a course? Was it of any benefit? What course did you do? Which are good ones and bad ones?

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I have done several defensive, offensive and four wheel driving courses.

They are always beneficial and worth the experience.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
We'll worth it , we've put both our kids through them , that way they are able to lesson the te spent on their restricted ( p plates to Aussies) licence

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I've probably done similar courses to you wouldn't I mate? When I was in the US for a short time I was a driver for an "At Risk" member of the public (close friend of mine) as part of that role, I was sent off to do Security and Anti-Terrorism driver training... (Funny part was the training was based around an Aussie Company)

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Joining a car club and doing track days is another great way of learning driving skills.

Personally I think that should be compulsory for everyone.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
I agree. I personally believe that the successful completion of an approved Defensive driving course should be mandatory to obtain a full license.

timbo888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
i have done a defensive course through work (work for a large company and we must wreck heaps of cars/trucks).

was theory on avoiding accidents/driving properly, then setting up the car (seat/steering wheel/mirrors) then braking and braking and turning, etc.

it was a 1 day course and worth it, i looked at sending my younger sisters to the course but never got around to it.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Yep I did the Murcotts Level 1 course in 2005, never got around to doing Level 2 though. I agree with the other guy, should be mandatory whilst on your Red P's.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Yes agreed. I have done 2 over the years.

Its specially a good thing to do any time you have a significant change of car. Small to large, or front drive to rear, or luxury to high performance etc etc.

The courses are also interesting and very enjoyable. I must get around to doing another one.

I can't recommend a current one though. Mine were at the old Oran Park, and at a driving school in Armidale, NSW which was excellent. But we are talking 20 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I've probably done similar courses to you wouldn't I mate? When I was in the US for a short time I was a driver for an "At Risk" member of the public (close friend of mine) as part of that role, I was sent off to do Security and Anti-Terrorism driver training... (Funny part was the training was based around an Aussie Company)

Yep , a little similar , they can be a lot of fun , as well as beneficial

Last edited: