Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adventra Opinions

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
Hi All,

The girl and I are expecting a baby in a few months as such we are looking at upgrading my VT SS Commodore (S1) to something a little more family friendly... I have never really been a fan of wagons, however one of the cars on our shopping list is the VY / VYII Adventra with the V8 powerplant.

I am opinions from anyone who may have one, what do they drive like, is it a car you'd recommend, pro's, cons, etc...

Cheers for the help!

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
if your after a wagon and want V8 i would go somethng like a vx onwards ls1. i have a berlina wagon and love it.

one of the guys at work has a vy series adventura with the ls1 and he has not had any problems. the only bad thing he has said about it is the fact they dont handle at all and are heavy on petrol.

you will love a wagon. i was never a fan till i had one. so much more luggage room.

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
if your after a wagon and want V8 i would go somethng like a vx onwards ls1. i have a berlina wagon and love it.

one of the guys at work has a vy series adventura with the ls1 and he has not had any problems. the only bad thing he has said about it is the fact they dont handle at all and are heavy on petrol.

you will love a wagon. i was never a fan till i had one. so much more luggage room.

ENTER ME:
Yeah as nanos said they love to drink. Combined driving i get 13, and well i dont baby it. Also as said iv had no issues with the car, other than typical maintenance on the trans and cooling system. As would any car.
Its handling isnt too bad if the suspension is in good condition, and you dont have it too full of crap.

Its not going to be the fastest car, sure it keeps pace with most things. And has plenty of power (well now that its tuned) and is happy to be stalled up and launched.

Mods are pretty easy, the trans, rear diff and engine are all standard commodore, the front diff is a little different, and the transfer case is also used in the BMW X3.
Extractors are funny shaped and expensive, but are easy to come by.

As nanos said, maybe if you dont want to spend the extra, or you dont need the awd, then go for a vx or vy wagon ls1, its quicker, lights, handles better, is cheaper, parts are easier to get, less **** can go wrong. But you cant fit 22's lol.

Oh and also, im pretty sure ill be out that way pretty soon, if you want to meet up and u can take the adventra for a spin.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
unless you plan on doing any offroading sorta stuff ts not worth it, you could get a very nice VZ wagon for a few g less than an adventra

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
13L combined and thats heavy on fuel? I think you guys are being a little over the top in that regard. 13 is good for a V8, and considering it would be less assuming this guy is a family man, thats great :)

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
13L combined and thats heavy on fuel? I think you guys are being a little over the top in that regard. 13 is good for a V8, and considering it would be less assuming this guy is a family man, thats great :)

yer i drive it like any other p plater with an ls1 would....

Myself and nanos took it down the great ocean road fully loaded with tools and 2 ladders on the rood, got a average of 11.8 ahhaha but that is heavy considering we both have 1.4lt daily's

unless you plan on doing any offroading sorta stuff ts not worth it, you could get a very nice VZ wagon for a few g less than an adventra

i dunno about that. The car is pretty **** off road. The tyres available let it down. A VZ V8 wags is hard to find. for 18k drive away i got a v8 wagon with alloys, leather, climate, elec everything, abs, traction, 4 air bags, 2100kg tow pack and low kms. If he wanted a v6 then sure, but he noted he was looking at the v8's, and vx ls1 wagons with decent kms are still $16000 ish

BarraSpalding

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Equipe wagon
I was also looking at the adventra when I started my search for a wagon... there are a few different levels to look at. CX8 and the LX8 (i think there is also a SX8 maybe)... but the LX8 being the ducks nuts. Std with sunroof, leather, elec everything... its pretty damn nice.
Also the rear cargo area (from what I saw) has all these little storage compartments which I assume would be really handy. Plus its got a sunroof... i really wanted a sunroof! then i could say "yeah... i got a sunroof!!" haha: smoking:

In the end I opted for a really good nick martini grey VY equipe wagon... 160k's for $8,500. Discovered its been owned in the same family since new.
But its got the little things i wanted... Elec. windows all round, cruse control, aircon etc. standard alloys (inc. spare). Put a cargo barrier in the back so the dog is safe, and currently chasing around to change the stereo for a sat-nav and stereo in 1 system (not having much luck finding anything good tho).

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Unless you have specific needs for an 'off-road' capable vehicle, I would suggest you try and pick up a late model VZ wagon. Heaps available from Govt, auctions - at the moment. You won't be disappointed.

RicheCV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY CV8 Monaro
I drove a VX Adventura for a week, weight is up, power is down but grip is grip and also the 19 ltr per hundred is the ultimate cost.

If you want some go in a family car, Maybe look at a VY SS wagon.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I drove a VX Adventura for a week, weight is up, power is down but grip is grip and also the 19 ltr per hundred is the ultimate cost.

If you want some go in a family car, Maybe look at a VY SS wagon.

they only made VY and VZ adventras.