Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice and info on 200sx/s15 please.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Hey looking at getting something with a little more go than the vx, probably a year or two off but i wanted to start getting as much info as possible. Keen on an s15 spec-r, would anyone that owns one be able to fill me in on how much it costs to service, how much parts cost and can i get genuine parts still? I have another few nissan forums i'm looking at joining but a few of you guys might be able to help me out in the mean time. Thanks!

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I used to own a Nissan Silvia S13, 1.8 N/A Auto and that cost me **** loads to fix **** when it broke, to tell you the truth I'm glad I got rid of it. I've always wanted an S15 too, but from what I've heard they're more expensive to fix than the other Silvias, but they take a good flogging, especially if you get a manual one with an SR20DET.

As for genuine parts, when I got **** fixed on mine I just got aftermarket parts put in, which are basically genuine since there's a billion aftermarket parts for Nissans which as just as good as original parts

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Expensive to fix? You must have been looking in the wrong places.

Jonnii

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z-Series Ute
how tall are you? As much as i like the japanese imports i would never own one being 6'3 ive sat in a couiple and just can not sit comforable

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
This is Just Commodore. As in only commodores not rice burners.

OT: The SR20 like most engines will last if it has been treated well. Rebuilds at 200k km's aren't un heard of. Most have been modified. If you can find a clean non modified example then your set. Also the gray imports are a little better then the Australian delivered models. Parts are relatively easy to come by due to their popularity.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
My mate has a manual s15 spec r, and its nice as car hes got all the usual lowered bigger turbo cams ect ect and he keeps up with my cammed ss, as said tho bit too small interior for me

Very nice cars tho! handle good as too

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII 5.7 Calais, VS SS SII HSV Enhanced
If funds are ample, get one imported from jap land. Can pick up a spec r cheap if imported.

Look for salt in the sills, under the wheel arches. Most of them prone to having salt issues.

Mechanically the sr engines are reliable with mild mods. Most I've seen is bearings spun from too much boost crammed into them.

Interior wise you will get the I'd dash that rattles. 3 of my mates s15's and mine had rattles. Apart from that, pretty hard wearing interior..

In the time I had mine, only thing I could fault was was the crappy skinny spare tyre lol.

All in all they're a decent Japanese car. Specially the spec r's, few extra bits over the aus delivered version!

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
vct noise, turbo/exhaust gasket, tierod ends, caster rod bushes, subframe bushes, cup holders, electric windows, interior fan/heater only working on setting 4, wheel bearings, rear boot latch and rust around boot, front seal timing chain.

here is a small compiled list of things to look out for on these cars, i researched them when i brought my s14, most of them carry over for the s15.

the 6spd gearboxes are weak as piss, as they added 6 gears inside the case which was originally meant to have 5 gears (that are still pretty weak) its always 3rd gear that strips or rips from its foundations under heavy load/clutch drops.

a mechanical difference between jap and aus s15's are the jap versions came with ball bearing t28 turbo's and the aus ones did not, limiting their safe operating psi to 15 instead of 18 for the bb ones.

alot of people cram extra boost in there and ad a front mount thinking their car is mega powerful now, this is not the case the computers are **** and when upping the boost 90% of the time causes detonation. (but more torque gains)

parts can be cheap if you want them to or only do basic replacements, the expensive things are the upgrades (turbo zorst injectors computer) everything else is pretty good, most expensive thing i have replaced in mine is 4 wheel bearings at a total of $380.

nissan still sells genuine everything, but there is alot of upgraded parts available which are better, and bursons/repco sell aftermarket oem equivalents for pretty cheap also.

a good example for parts prices is here Genuine Nissan Parts! + NISMO Parts! - Hardtuned.net this guys prices are pretty average and the same as shops but i needed it for the needle roller spigot bearing as i couldn't find any around here.

motor is strong, probly dont want anymore than 300rwkw any more and your motor would be very close to pushing daisies 250rwkw is a good safe bet for stock internals, incase you think this is a low number remember that the car is only 1200kg odd and you see this number from midway through the rev range and it just sits on it, compared to seeing it as a final figure on for e.g. n/a cars.

i know alot of stuff about these but just dont know how to say it properly....

enjoy.