Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

advice centre for young drivers

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
If you ever get pulled over for anything, don't call a Constable "sir". "Constable" is quite ok. They get to be "sir" when they reach Commissioned rank, not before.

(In other words, crawling won't work)

Crawling ?? , perhaps not , but being polite can work wonders , as can a good attitude .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Crawling ?? , perhaps not , but being polite can work wonders , as can a good attitude .

My post was a little facetious but there is a fair bit of crawling involved with some drivers. I worked with cops for nearly 39 years and often saw this sort of behaviour when they were pulled over. Suddenly they start being sooooo polite, "yessir, no sir, sorry sir", immediately after behaving like total ########s.

Made me want to upchuck.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
how are they meant to act? like all the people they show on highway patrol? they act polite because police have the option to bend you over without lube. ill take the yes sir, no sir, sorry sir option any day of the week

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
DON'T DRINK/DO DRUGS AND DRIVE.

So many people ignore this important advice and it drives me insane. You think you are invincible and infallible right up until you end up in my emergency department. One of the hardest moments I've had was pretending to care about some dick head drunk driver's pain, when I knew that the person he had hit was upstairs having a huge life altering operation. All because he thought he was fine to drive at over 7 times the legal limit.

You are not perfect, you will make mistakes. Just don't let those mistakes kill others

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Only one rule will you need to survive adolescence.

Under no circumstance should you ever, ever contemplate purchasing a red EA falcon wagon that has been sitting for god knows how long in somebodies yard! Just look and walk away. That piece of advice my friends will save you in more ways than you will ever know, but if you do unfortunately find yourself sucked in by the lure of that kind of trouble then I can only suggest turning to God as he will be the only person that may come remotely close to exorcizing that nasty little red devil that has taken control of your life.

(I am not a religious person so I am no way preaching to anybody)

kyled2012

I.T. Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6
If you ever get pulled over for anything, don't call a Constable "sir". "Constable" is quite ok. They get to be "sir" when they reach Commissioned rank, not before.

(In other words, crawling won't work)

Given how so many young people pronounce it CUNstable to be 'funny', I prefer to avoid saying it ever.
Whenever I get pulled over (P plates, Commodore, do the math) I just say "G'day Mate" and they're always happy.

I've always just said "Hi, mate", provided its a guy of course. They are always pretty happy with that.
Yup, best course of action. Have a few family friends who are cops including 1 HWP guy, they all agree. :thumbsup:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
how are they meant to act? like all the people they show on highway patrol? they act polite because police have the option to bend you over without lube. ill take the yes sir, no sir, sorry sir option any day of the week

Exactly as I said previously. "Yes Constable/Sergeant." Do it politely and even "mate" is ok.

Using "sir" is nice and polite, but it can be over the top when dealing with police of junior rank.(And from my experience working with them, some of the younger ones don't need their egos boosted any higher than they already are.)

Even just "Yes" or "No" is adequate really. It's not worth creating a debate over - I just have this aversion to pandering to people who really are not my masters.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Last time someone called me Sir I replied " officer or sergeant is fine " , not before I checked to see if the commissioner or district commander was standing behind me Another way of looking at it is this , some people make please and thank you sound like get bent , it's all in the delivery .

Last edited:

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Only one rule will you need to survive adolescence.

Under no circumstance should you ever, ever contemplate purchasing a red EA falcon wagon that has been sitting for god knows how long in somebodies yard! Just look and walk away. That piece of advice my friends will save you in more ways than you will ever know, but if you do unfortunately find yourself sucked in by the lure of that kind of trouble then I can only suggest turning to God as he will be the only person that may come remotely close to exorcizing that nasty little red devil that has taken control of your life.

(I am not a religious person so I am no way preaching to anybody)

I managed to exorcise that demon from my life but still is there any habits that could be dangerous to me or anyone else with a six pot wagon like a ef or el or vs?