Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

advice need on gasket issue

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ok, well ive bought this twin throttle body manifold and when i had a close look at it ive noticed it doesnt have a gasket/rubber for the top hat of the manifold like it should.
the ttb is based off a standard manifold which is moddified to have the extra t/b, in doing this they have welded over the "channel" where the gasket would sit, so you cant use the normal gasket anymore.
my question is what should i use to make sure i have a tight seal between the top hat and the rest of the manifold?
ive thought of using a liquid gasket, but im not too sure, anyone with some info/advice for me would be much appreciated.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
here are some pics to show you all what im talking about. you can see on the inside of the top hat that they have welded over the channels the gasket would normally sit in.
i took one of the whole thing with the piping just to show how it will look once fitted to my engine:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 100_3888.jpg
    100_3888.jpg
    512.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_3889.jpg
    100_3889.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_3890.jpg
    100_3890.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 155

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
sorry no idea

hoarey85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
You could use it comes in a blue coloured tube and the stuff is white in colour, i'm pretty sure that it is called Thre Bond but don't hold me to it, when i go to the workshop tomo i will let you know, they use it for lots of purposes but i have had no trouble with using it to help seal up things such as this it is well worth it and i am sure you will not have any troulbe with it... My bro also uses it on motor bike engines along with the normal gaskets etc it just helps things bond so much beta and with area's that are going to get vibrations it will prevent leaks or atleast thats what i think anyway...

hope this helps you out..

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ok, cool. i was thinkin something like a liquid gasket...i know ive got something in the garage that might do the trick. its a selleys sealer, for engine parts and its like a black silicone.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Just make sure the sealant is good to use with oxygen sensors.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
ok, cheers guys. i can finally get this thing on now...should be good!

chook231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 UTE
Theres no reason you couldnt use the normal one and either cut out the affected section of the gasket and use the gasket goo type stuff on the welded section or you could with a dremel type tool grind out the welded section of channel to try and use the stock gasket.

Either way its not going to see massive pressure (eg 15 +psi, only vacumn pressure.)