Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

advice needed on rego

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
yesterday i got to my car and went to hop in <it was parked in a different place than usual> as soon as i got in 2 undercover cops came up and accused me that it was stolen because its not registered in my name. i got the car 1 or 2 months ago and i have misplaced the rego papers. what can i do in this situation? is it a matter of calling the person i bought it off and getting them to get a replacement? i cant drive the car until its regoed in my name too

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
In SA the previous owner is obligated to lodge a disposal notice within 14 days of selling a car.. That probably hasn't been done here?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
In SA the previous owner is obligated to lodge a disposal notice within 14 days of selling a car.. That probably hasn't been done here?

same rule for NSW, they are meant to submit a notice of disposal

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
this is what i was thinking too but at the same time i need to put my paper in yes?

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
In my state on the back of the normal rego papers theres two parts, one the seller keeps and one the buyer keeps. They both get handed in by the individual parties. The only reason I can think of the cops saying its stolen is because the seller has reported it stolen??

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Having a car registered in your name does not imply ownership. My son's car is registered in my name, however it is his car. A receipt for purchase made out to you is proof of ownership.

I crossed this bridge sometime ago when I had a relationship end, whereby I had my ex's mothers car that we had purchased a month before off her, and I registered in my name. She rang and demanded her car back just to be spiteful. At that point I thought she could stick it as the car was registered to me, but then discovered that it meant nothing and that I needed to provide a receipt as proof of purchase, which I didn't have. (Another lesson, get receipts even if it is family.)

For those interested in the outcome, my daughter was involved in a car accident in the car later that week and it was written off. Suddenly the cow didn't want her car back!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
HUH, in QLD the buyer submits a paper transferring the rego into thier name, signed by both parties of course, but the seller also has a Notice of Disposal to cover themselves. Its also illegal for the buyer to not submit his papers within 14 days.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Having a car registered in your name does not imply ownership. My son's car is registered in my name, however it is his car. A receipt for purchase made out to you is proof of ownership.

I crossed this bridge sometime ago when I had a relationship end, whereby I had my ex's mothers car that we had purchased a month before off her, and I registered in my name. She rang and demanded her car back just to be spiteful. At that point I thought she could stick it as the car was registered to me, but then discovered that it meant nothing and that I needed to provide a receipt as proof of purchase, which I didn't have. (Another lesson, get receipts even if it is family.)

For those interested in the outcome, my daughter was involved in a car accident in the car later that week and it was written off. Suddenly the cow didn't want her car back!

A bit off topic I know, but in WA it is the opposite. Whomever's name the car is registered in is the legal owner reglardless of who bought it or who financed it. Speaking from personal experience, many years ago during a marriage, I bought a car and financed it, but registered it in my ex's name, when the marriage ended I wanted the car back but the police told me that since it was registered in her name it was legally hers. The only option I had at the time was to do a voluntary reposession by the finacier and then reclaim the car. Turned out even that wasn't correct as the ex just told the tow company that they couldn't take it. Two months later when it ran out of rego, she handed the plates in and told the financier to come and get the car. I told them to sell it and pay the loan out, but they told me I had better go look at it as they did a valuation and it was worth $1500, and the loan was still about 6k at that stage. She or her cronies had trashed the car and taken everything out that wasn't screwed down, someone even removed the A/C controls, rammed a screw driver through the circuit board and refitted it. I paid the amount in arrears, took the car home, fixed it, reregistered it and kept it for another few years after that.

Two pieces of advice arise from this tale of woe, do not ever do a voluntary reposession, as it will stay on your credit file for 7 years, sometimes longer and will affect any future credit applications, and the second is always register a car in your name if it is financed by you.

To the OP, contact the previous owner and ask them to notify the relevant authority that the vehicle has been disposed of and then pay the transfer into your name ASAP.

redrags

Reaction score
Members Ride
walking
i called the guy i bought it off. he said he hasnt gone into the rta to put in his notice of disposal and will send me the papers tomorow or monday. theres one weight off my mind
The only reason I can think of the cops saying its stolen is because the seller has reported it stolen??
well i didnt mention this part but i ran out of fuel around the corner from my mates place and had to roll back down a hill to park it so it wasnt in the middle of the road and the back passenger wheel mounted the gutter so i think either a resident from the area reported it or the school it was parked in front of. the cops couldnt contact the registered owner