Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

advice needed

94vrcaprice

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
99 wh caprice
i have hail damage on my roof ive been offerd a whole roof just need to drill out the spot welds or would i be better off to get the dents filled in or get the new roof welded on? im geting a full respray and have all the other panels i need

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
:hmmm: Probly a matter of personal opinion. How bad is your roof? Are you any good with a hammer and dolly? lol

IMO, I'd fix the roof thats on there, after changing a rear quarter panel on my VY I found that its better to repair what you've got instead of replacing. Its just a heap of mucking around that could be spent on fixing/panel beating the roof thats on there. That way its still all sealed, (reasonably) rust proof, and you don't have to muck around lining things up.

I wouldn't just bog over the dents, definately try and panel beat them out some, then a thing skim over the whole roof.

But, thats all just my opinion, I'm not a panel beater and am not going to be spending hour after hour panel beating your roof :p lol,
They can remove all the dents in the roof paintless dent removal/rub them out, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix up for a panel beater.

customvlcommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VL commodore(sold regretfully) + VR project
hail dents in the roof is a pain spent a few days at my old work on one roof because the metal is so light its easy to heat it up just by sanding it and it makes uppy dents haha around the bog but its upp to you if i had the moeny to put a new roof on my VR i would i just left my hail dmage CBF fixing it

94vrcaprice

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
99 wh caprice
im getting full respray ive been offerd a full roof just have to remove it i want the car to look **** hot i plan to spend a bit of coin on it. its allready dumped on its ass looking to chuck a supercharger on at a later date

customvlcommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VL commodore(sold regretfully) + VR project
id say replace the roof mate if you want it to look hot

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
im getting full respray ive been offerd a full roof just have to remove it i want the car to look **** hot i plan to spend a bit of coin on it. its allready dumped on its ass looking to chuck a supercharger on at a later date
Buy another body perhaps, and rebody it? sounds a hell of a lot less pissing about than replacing all these panels

admir87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais
repair the dents mate... slowly but surely you will get there, they might need a light skim of bodyfill, then after highfill it will look sweet....

cutting the roof out would be a pain mate, matching up all the gaps between 4 doors and roof, and front part, too much mucking around

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
get a window lifter and try and pull the dints out if they arent that bad. someone needs to create something that creates a vaccum and sucks the metal til its flush with the other surfaces of metal.

oh by the way zeussy, why didnt you take the car back to holden when you realised they forgot door handles?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
lmao illusionalvr :p

I wish they came without doorhandles, was seriously thinking of getting new skins made up with out the cutouts for them, but realised by the time I do all that its wayyy cheaper and easier to plate them :)
I think they stuffed up my paint job though :rofl2: its all primered up two tone style!

illusionalvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota lexcen - vr.
haha. black with dark blue pearl would look sick :p push button to open doors?

on topic, ive heard from people that once a panel is bent out of shape, it finds it a lot easier once repaired to go back to that shape. if you decide to have a go yourself, try not to crease or stretch the metal, because there isnt no coming back from there.