Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on buying a VR or VS

EyesoftheWolf

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here! :) I just lost my VN commodore yesterday in a 4 car pile up and am now going through the motions of trying to find myself a low cost replacement... I checked out a VR Wagon today and was wondering what advice anyone had for me. It's been a long time since I had to buy a car and so I am really out of practice... The one I had checked out today was a '93 VR Wagon, white, had done 287,000 kms and was going for $4000 with a 12 month warranty up to $500 on the engine and transmission. It had the option of buying a warranty of up to $700 on the engine and transmission which also covered things like the starter motor, alternator and the like for $100. I was told that the only things they had done to it was to detail it and cover some chips in the paint work and that it didn't have the common problems of the main rear seal and power steering leaks. It comes with a cd player, air con and factory fitted ABS. Didn't take it for a spin, but did turn it over and the engine sounded good... The tail pipe was showing its age and the driver and passenger seats were a little loose, but apart from that it seemed in pretty good nick. Just wanted peoples thoughts on what I should look for and how to go about finding it. The service history of the car was covered up to the 90,000 km mark but had a sticker on the window saying it was serviced 2000 kms ago and was due in a few months or at 295,000 kms. My mechanic advised me to hunt for a VR or VS, so thought I'd come here and ask for some friendly advice! thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer me.

Take care all.

richardsworkcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE S2 V6
Id go a VS (ecotec engine etc) I bought my VS wagon for work 12months ago 187000kms for $6000 with a rwc and it was in great cond. It was a private sale. High 200's is very high kms in my opinion. I would buy privately and get a RACV check before buying it. Extended warranties generally suck. Most ive seen are all related to servicing and still cost you if something goes wrong.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
gO A vp

If you are looking around the $4,000 mark your better off buying a VP as you can get a good one with all the extras, low K,s,and better all round condition for $3500-$4000 and I think after owning a VN youll apreciate the "refined" feel of the mighty P.
I`d personaly go armed with a magnet (to test bodywork for bog, as it will not attach to bog, even the crafty bugger with metal shaving`s in the bog ...lol)
Check the coolant, cause you need to know if its been mantained, unless you want a hole in your heater core and coolant all over the cab floor.
also pop the bonnet and check the water run off`s on the two sides under the windshield near the bonnet arms, look right inside here for gatherd leaves and rust spots.
also the boot lid underside edges and boot seal for rust
and finally check the exhaust system for quality issue`s.

these are some other things ontop of the normal routine to look at yourself natrualy. P.S post what you look at and maybe more people will post more things and you can start a fat list

also ask
does it have a log book
has it been in any accidents
is it the original engine
always take it for a long test drive
and try and bargin him/her down as some people expect that and will have a hidden base price.
go get em tiger. lol :thumbsup:

Don`t` just by a vr/vs just cause your told to you need about $5500+ to get one you can drive away in and not need to do anything to it for a while and I would never buy a car that`s` done over 200,000 period. im just like that.

sorry about the wall of text

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Maybe you should try to buy private - try the classifieds - look for a 1 owner with under 200,000km and with a service history.....pref from an old b*****d like me who would be insulted by the trade-in offered and thinks his car is worth more. You will pay less than a dealer and not have all the crap they try to push on you. With the oil price rises a lot of 1 owners are selling to buy econoboxes and most older buggers actually baby their cars.
There are many pristine VR/VS models out there and they are very cheap.
Hints - cars must be clean-as inside, with all original paperwork and make sure the owners telephone number is in the telephone book....and accept the cup of tea when its offered to you.

Last edited:

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Hey mate,

Personally i would go a Private sold VR... Remember, the VR Series 2 used the buick engine which was first seen in the VN commodore... Meaning they had like 7 years to sort out any bugs/issues. With a VS you've got the first batch of ecotec engines... I dont know if there are any major issues with them, but i always prefer getting a "last version" of a slightly older model.

That and the buick engines seem to be rock solid, so even at 200,000kms they'll have a few 100,000 more to go...

vsholdenguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive series 2
I picked up a 1996 VS with 148,000 km last year in Ballarat for $6500 with the stamp duty. i has been a great deal with only the servicing a issue but it had a rebuilt auto trans. Just check all the hoses and the rocker cover gaskets.

Victimiza

LG, v8.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II SS 380rwhp, VZ calais
i picked up my 97 exec with 90,000kms for $5800, desperate seller, mechanically sound, but sun damaged paint. Had it for over a year now and the only problem was needing a new alternator and pulley.

Goldie87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Definately go private sale, forget car yards. I was looking around for VR's/VS's for ages and everything was overpriced. Ended up getting a VS Berlina with 226000 k's but perfect body and interior for $3800! Bargain I thought, im sure you will find the same...

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
unless your in a rush to buy a car give it some time and eventually youll find a good one..a few months ago i was in a crash with my old vs, waited about a month or two and found myself a nice vs acclaim 96 s2 120km service history paint job 12 months rego etc for only 4500..my advice is give it some time searching and eventually some old guy will sell his car that he never uses and has no clue about carrs and will sell it for dirt cheap haha good luck

KRUPTD

VN BT1 5L
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Crewman,XE Falcon,HJ V8 panel van,HZ tonner
Look around,me personally i would suggest looking at a VS with ecotec a far better motor setup than the earlier version.For $4000 grand i reckon you would be able to find a VS commie with less than 220,000kms and in pretty good nic.Look for private sales because you can get a good deal.Better than buying from a car yard which all those cars seem to me are not wanted tradeins and salesmans dont care aslong as they can flog them off.And the warranty they offer you is a joke.Example if you got the warranty for like $700 for an engine for this VR you might purchase and 2 weeks later the motor siezes and all your warranty of $700 isnt much to help putt in another engine.Roughly between $2000 to $2500 would cost you to get a mechanic to do a job like that replace the motor.Simply buying a second hand one from the wreckers trying to get similar km's to the car you have purchased.So theres alittle bit of info to help.Anything with over 230 000kms on a V6 commodore i would stay clear of.Just have a look around you want to buy this car to keep not to fix or just to sell to get another.Hope that helps