Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on car issues

Freshjivin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2/ VT SS
Also no idea if the damage was done by a previous owner. But i'll post up the details of what needs to be done etc when I get it in writing.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I feel for you mate and he was wrong to advertise it as an ss perhaps theres a chance you could get a judgment in your favour for the market value difference but it wont be much maybe $1000 or so, have you thought about the possibility that your mechanic is trying it on and wants extra work? Its been known to happen in workshops all over the country, definately get a 3rd opinion on repairs but be prepared for different things to be picked on/not picked on, there are allot of shady mechanics out there thats why when you find a good trustworthy one stay with them.

If the seller wrote on the receipt something like "sold as is" then your case for getting any money back from repairs is slim to nil, afraid its a case of buyer beware.

Freshjivin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2/ VT SS
I feel for you mate and he was wrong to advertise it as an ss perhaps theres a chance you could get a judgment in your favour for the market value difference but it wont be much maybe $1000 or so, have you thought about the possibility that your mechanic is trying it on and wants extra work? Its been known to happen in workshops all over the country, definately get a 3rd opinion on repairs but be prepared for different things to be picked on/not picked on, there are allot of shady mechanics out there thats why when you find a good trustworthy one stay with them.

If the seller wrote on the receipt something like "sold as is" then your case for getting any money back from repairs is slim to nil, afraid its a case of buyer beware.

Nothing on the receipt saying "sold as is" so speaking with a mate today who is a lawyer to see what avenues I can take to at least get re imbursed for some of the cost.
As for the mechanic i've taken my car's there for years now and that's why I trust him, he showed me the damage briefly this morning and my 4yr old son could do better welds! I did get it checked out JUST to be safe by another mechanic who gave me a higher quote than my mechanic but did state the same repairs as my guy but just a little more pricey.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I do feel for you, but I've come across so many cars which are advertised as one thing, but seem to be another. I've come across so many cars that just dont seem right when looking to buy because I try and be as cynical as possible when checking out a car.

I just looked at the for sale thread of the car you bought and the first thing I noticed was Its a VT SS with VX SS badges and tail lights. That would make me instantly very very skeptical at to what its origins are so I would check for any signs of engine conversions, accident repairs, Check the VIN number to make sure it all checks out and have someone more knowledgeable come with me. Most importantly ask a lot of questions about history and repairs and if the seller stumbles or is inconsistent with their answers just walk away mid conversation.

Good luck getting this mess sorted and I hope it turns out ok for you

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Just a question about the engine, have you had the engine number checked against the rego papers? Is it the original engine? Just because the VIN says it's not a 195 HSV engine doesn't mean it hasn't been changed at some point.

Just saying.

A lot of the time a buyer will blame the seller when certain things are discovered to be not up to scratch on a car, but (and I'm not saying this is the case) the seller sometimes doesn't know this so they are selling the car in good faith. Although after seeing there is some history on the forum about the car the seller knew full well what he was selling.

A mechanic is in business to make money, some are more thorough and will pick a lot more than others. It is in a mechanics best interest to pick as much as he can to repair to make money. A lot of the repairs pointed out may not make the car unroadworthy, but still need repairing. You can't put all that on the seller. As said, it is up to the buyer to get the car inspected before the sale so he is aware of as much as possible before he parts with his money. The only thing you may have recourse on is the fact that he advertised the car as something it was not. Not the fact that you bought it as an SS, that is your problem for not checking it, legally, the issue is what he advertised it as. He may be able to be charged with an offence for that, but I don't think you can claim any compensation from him as you weren't really out of pocket by the fact that it isn't an SS. By all accounts, a Berlina is spec'd higher than an SS anyway, so you actually got a better car model wise.