Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on chrome/super clear looking paint job!

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
I'm not sure what colour i want to respray my HZ ute, but was thinking if i did a silver or black, i want it to look very "chromy". Hard to explain, and hope spray savvy people can understand what i mean. Is the trick to it just lots of coats of clear coat? Only way to really describe it is, if anyone has played Need For Speed: Most Wanted, in the pearlescent colours, there is a bunch of colours that have a very chrome like finish. Know a bit about spraying but no expert. If someone could explain it would be greatly appreciated.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
When you say chromy do you actually mean you want it nice and shiny with that permanent wet look, or are you after an actual effect?

With the Need for Speed cars, remember its a whole lot easier to create a fancy effect digitally than with paint. Most of those would be meant to look like a pearl or candy paint, but the actual result is unlikely to look as fancy as the digital version.

Post a pic of the effect you want and we should be able to tell you how to get a similar effect.

This is a black base coat with 2 coats of clear, a coat of prismatic flake in clear, and another 4 coats of clear. The camera is only an iPhone so its not the best video, but you should see the prismatic flake flashing occasionally. This is an acrylic paint job, not buffed yet.

[video=youtube_share;YsrHzom5DHk]http://youtu.be/YsrHzom5DHk[/video]

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
Not really what i was after. Its hard to explain. Like a deep rich colour, but it looks distant, and really shiny and gives that chrome effect. Unfortunately i can't explain much more cause i don't know how to achieve that effect haha. Almost as though there is like a inch thickness of pure shine if that makes sense.

Apart from that though, how hard is it to create a metallic finish like this, im really loving this colour! Sam Barris 1949 Mercury Custom : Legendary Collector Cars

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thats a basic metallic with a lot of clear over it. The clear gives the depth you can see. Its an easy job compared to many.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
that 49 will look different under sunlight conditions. you get those highlights on the curves cause its under artificial lights. pretty much any heavy pearl color will look like that under those lights. just pick a tone on the color pallet and see what factory color you can come up with. keen on green? i can see if i can dig up some paint codes for you if you want....

VZImpulseSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
'79 HZ Ute
that 49 will look different under sunlight conditions. you get those highlights on the curves cause its under artificial lights. pretty much any heavy pearl color will look like that under those lights. just pick a tone on the color pallet and see what factory color you can come up with. keen on green? i can see if i can dig up some paint codes for you if you want....

Yeah that would be appreciated mate. Im after pretty much that exact green. So metallic, but brighter in sunlight and darker without light

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
in order to get a finish to look like that in the sun your talking a kandy job for sure.... there are some colors that can come close ill just have to have a look.

the other thing ive seen people do is to dust pearl on top where the sheet metal rolls to catch more of a dramatic highlights. it tricks the mind into thinking the paint job is deeper.

heres a HOK candy tangerine over pale gold top and spanish gold bottom....

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
you might try this one, think its a stock porsche color rainforest green metallic pearl

rainforestgreenpearlmet.jpg

another one
LC6P Dragon Green Pearl

200518086ne6.jpg