Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on exhaust and otr for 2012 VE SSV Z Series

MCJC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Hey, I live near Perth, WA and have just bought myself a 2012 VE SSV Z Series Sportswagon. Wanting to put a full exhaust system, otr and tune. I'm not going to do any other mods in the future. All the exhaust centers have given me good advice, according to their brands, because apparently their brands are the best! I'm after a system that will give me obviously a good proformance increase and fuel economy but also a great deep throaty sound without the drone and ground clearance. Also, as much as i do like a car that sounds as loud as a V8 Supercar, my wife and my neighbors definitely don't. Still after a good rumble inside and out, but I'd still like to be able to have a conversation with my wife inside the car without yelling. Any good advice would be muchly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
As much as i do like a car that sounds as loud as a V8 Supercar, my wife and my neighbors definitely don't.

Pfft neighbours!! I'm lucky one side of me are old n deaf, and the other has noisyer toys then me.

Get 4 into 1 headers for that V8 rumble and a good system with anti drone mufflers and/or J pipes to eliminate the drone.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Since your in perth MANTA would be my pick of exhausts.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do Manta. I have a package going at the moment, 4-1 headers, high flow cats and a twin 2 1/2" Manta system with front hotdogs and rear mufflers for $2360 delivered. If yours has AFM, then $2460, as it will need the muffler in the front.

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
I do Manta. I have a package going at the moment, 4-1 headers, high flow cats and a twin 2 1/2" Manta system with front hotdogs and rear mufflers for $2360 delivered. If yours has AFM, then $2460, as it will need the muffler in the front.

Is this stainless? How much if I drove down to you and had you fit it also? Mine is a VF AFM auto sedan.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
+1 for Manta, the exhausts sounds wicked.

My personal preference is Difilippo, however Manta also sound great and are cheaper. NAAF has pretty good prices also.

MCJC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Thanks Naaf, I'm not too sure what the best set of extractors & headers would be. I basically know bugger all about extractors & headers. But everyone seems to be talking about one of these ones - 4 into 1, 1 7/8, 1 3/4 or a try y. But thinking of a metal 200 cat, either being a hurricane or pacemaker stainless steel exhaust system, ceramic coated with maybe a Varex muffler. And still unsure on a 3 or 2 1/2 inch?

MCJC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Thanks guys and sorry if this is a late reply! It's my first time on a forum and it's all very unfamiliar territory for someone who can pretty much only work fb and google! Haha

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
As you stated you're not doing any mods beyond the OTR CAI and exhaust the 3" system would be overkill and droning. You'd only need it if you had a huge cam or forced induction (supercharger or turbo).
Ceramic coating the headers is a premium beyond the norm that's meant to reduce heat dissipation. Again not really essential if your not pushing the limits with your car.
Full stainless steel will last longer than mild steel but if you're not running e85 the mild should last you ages.
You can spend the earth with add-ons that won't give you any benefit in the sound or power department.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Thanks Naaf, I'm not too sure what the best set of extractors & headers would be. I basically know bugger all about extractors & headers. But everyone seems to be talking about one of these ones - 4 into 1, 1 7/8, 1 3/4 or a try y. But thinking of a metal 200 cat, either being a hurricane or pacemaker stainless steel exhaust system, ceramic coated with maybe a Varex muffler. And still unsure on a 3 or 2 1/2 inch?

Just get the system from NAAF, don't worry about ceramic coating or an X-Force Varex (total waste of money) muffler.

The hurricane 4-1's are good headers and the catback is also good quality. My opinion would be to not get a 3", it's unnecessary and will drone a lot.