Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice on mp3 ipod thingys.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
iriver or a flash memory player by creative

just be sure to throw a couple of dollars at a good set of earphones, stock ones are like our beloved commodores stock exhausts, usable but there no punch

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I sencond that^^ my Laser ones are crap, no bass whatsoever. They do have a clip that holds onto the MP3 player though. My good Philips one's dont

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
I have an iriver h320 (20gig light the ipod video size) and its awesome, I have dropped it when riding (at the skatepark) and its still working fine.
I had a cheap 256mb one from the warehouse and it was fine until one day about 2 months after i bought it the earphone port stopped working.
i would say iRiver or a creative one (i have heard there pretty good)

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
For my opinion, I wouldn't buy an iPod. Buy the iRiver - just as good sound quality as the iPod (that's the thing they really have going for them...), but they're much more nicely / solidly made. (I have the iRiver H120 - 20GB HDD based - it's bloody excellent)

The Creative units are nice too - not as "connectible" as the iRiver though - that's what sold me on it. Both harwired AND optical input AND outputs, magnesium case, damn nice unit. Although, the iPods are number one for small size - the iRiver is a little chunky... ;) Size isn't the primary concern for me though - build quality and reliability is.

Cheerz!

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
have a look at the creative muvo range also... you can have a 1gb for 99.95, and a 2gb for 149.95. Best value quality mp3 player out there at the moment me thinks

Weissen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Anything with less than 2GB is a bit of a waste of time IMO. You just end up shuffling your music on and off there all the time to make space for new stuff as your music collection grows as I found out.
Get something with at least 20GB (preferably a lot more) so you can just keep on adding new music as you go. :thumbsup:
Also impotant is something with a rechargeable battery. You don't want to be feeding the unit a new $3 AAA cell every day or two.

Either iRiver or iPod are both excellent products for different reasons.

Whatever you get make sure to spend a bit more on some good earbuds, it's well worth it if you appeciate your music.
Either Shure or Sennheiser make some good ones.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
why pay 300 or so bucks for a mini ipod when you can pay something like 370 now for a 30GB ipod?

iPods are sweet though. i love my video 30GB

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Whatever you get make sure to spend a bit more on some good earbuds, it's well worth it if you appeciate your music.
Either Shure or Sennheiser make some good ones.

Agreed. (my iRiver was supplied with Sennheiser!;) )

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Mmmm what to do!
Honestly thanks to all who have voiced their opinion, just one more stupid question.
What is flash memory???

Weissen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
What is flash memory???

It's solid state memory, the same as resides in the main memory of your PC (not your hard disk though). It consists of a series of memory chips that contain the data as a bunch of electrical charges, ie no moving parts

Things like the larger capacity iPods actually have a small hard drive disk in them that stores data in a magnetic format like an audio cassette or VHS tape for instance ie there are moving parts.

As usual, there are pro's and con's for both.