Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice - VE gas wagon

goodie78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 304 / VE SS Manual LPG
I think it's a great buy, but think about where you may travel first. LPG is not available everywhere, which is why Dual Fuel could be a better option.

LPG is good though, as long as it has been done properly.

Terminal

Stealth
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais
Liquid injection runs off normal AutoGas available at every servo pump, only difference is the fuel delivery and injection into the motor./QUOTE]

Yeah I was referring to the liquid gas pumps that pump the liquid to the engine. As i'm sure you're aware the older systems were pressurized. When the system was first brought out there were a few problems with the pumps inside the tanks giving up the ghost.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Hey gents!

I have a 2012 SV6 sedan on dedicated LPG. Bought it brand new in Feb for only 32 driveaway. I've done just over 6,000 Kms in it, and I love it!

Has more than enough power for me and is quite good on gas. I WOULD NOT recommend towing with it, as the fuel consumption will skyrocket, as will lots of city driving. I currently get 14.5-15L in heavy traffic, but I save a hell of a lot at the bowser. I can get 11.5-12 on the highway easily.

Just a suggestion: If you need more power, consider a XR6 with the EcoLpi liquid injection as they put out more power than their petrol equivalent.

If you have any questions, just message me :)

I'll be happy to answer as many questions as you'd like, as I know not many people are to keen about gas only vehicles/!

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
im pretty sure all their cars had a full tank, but my old maloo for example they wouldnt fill it up as part of the deal.

do they have any common problems from these engine and gas combos?

I can't speak for the car that you linked as mine is a series 1 and converted dual fuel, but as much as any engine you'll be fine if the car is serviced regularly, plus with a 2012 model you'd be getting one with warranty so that helps if the car you end up with has a factory LPG system.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
FYI: I have a EcoLpi XR6. Its slower than the older vapor Egas and the petrol equivalent on takeoff.
Much better for freeway driving though.

The VE wagon we have in our "pool" fleet is dedicated gas. Series 2 VE.
As for servicing, its been pretty routine, but the gas mixer had been replaced under warranty and has had a few instances of becoming "waxy" and has needed a clean. Performance and total kilometers out of a tank of gas is significantly reduced.

Also the gas VE's still use the older gearbox and engine in them.

Wagon gets about 500kms out of a tank on Highway driving. Not game enough to let it do any more kms between fills.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
FYI: I have a EcoLpi XR6. Its slower than the older vapor Egas and the petrol equivalent on takeoff.
Much better for freeway driving though.

As for servicing, its been pretty routine, but the gas mixer had been replaced under warranty and has had a few instances of becoming "waxy" and has needed a clean. Performance and total kilometers out of a tank of gas is significantly reduced.

Also the gas VE's still use the older gearbox and engine in them.

Wagon gets about 500kms out of a tank on Highway driving. Not game enough to let it do any more kms between fills.

My 2012 on Gas uses the same 6 speed as all the current petrol versions. Not sure what you mean by old? :)

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Oh by the way, regardless of which model you choose (SV6, Omega, Equipe), they all share the same 3.6L Alloytech/6 speed transmission combination.

But lets be honest, the Omega is boring.

I'd consider an Equipe or SV6. SV6 is sporty or the Equipe has leather. Tough decision, I think.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
I've got a WM Caprice Series 1 with Dual Fuel. Has the Apollo Vapor Injection system installed. Seems to be fine. Its got a 6.0l L98 V8 in it, which is cammed making 280rwkw and runs fine on gas. There is definitely a power loss and loss of throttle response, but is in no way "slower"??? It's still quick as on gas, just more "go happy" on petrol.

I'm getting around 19l/100km on gas driving into the city daily

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
do they have any common problems from these engine and gas combos?

Not sure about common problems with the factory installed ones but as I said above, factory installed LPG VE's have hardened valve seats to avoid the early wearing out of valves which is a common problem in LPG powered cars as it tends to erode valve seals etc.

A few other points I remembered/looked into:

Vapour injection will also curb hard starting in hot or extreme cold weather as it avoids the retarded air fuel mix which is alot more delicate on LPG (and when not optimal, can make starting really rough).

Apparently Holden specifically designed the heads and manifold to suit LPG. Holden was also able to take advantage of the higher octane rating of LPG by raising the compression ratio.
Although I find it interesting that the LPG models don't claim similar power figures to their petrol equivalents due to the higher compression and LPG optimisation of hardware and software.
Though I would imagine higher up in the rev range vapour injection would run out of puff compared to petrol or liquid injection gas, so that's probably the reason there.

How does the factory VE have a 'gas mixer'? Gas mixers are a specific type of LPG fuel system (think Gas Research). An injection (vapour or liquid) wouldn't have a gas mixer, as the mixer mixes the air/fuel ratio in the intake ready to be delivered through the throttle body/manifold rather than direct fuel injection.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
How does the factory VE have a 'gas mixer'? Gas mixers are a specific type of LPG fuel system (think Gas Research). An injection (vapour or liquid) wouldn't have a gas mixer, as the mixer mixes the air/fuel ratio in the intake ready to be delivered through the throttle body/manifold rather than direct fuel injection.

Just saw your reply and went and pulled the cars file.
It does have the 6 speed gearbox - according to the delivery sheet from Holden. Its a May 2012 build (Equip)
It had the Throttle body and intake replaced in July 2012 (warranty) due to "wax" build up - Sounded suss when they did it - still sounds suss now, but that's whats on the on the service records/invoice.
I always thought from new it was slower "seat feel" than the one we test drove before it. I think part of the reason the throttle body was replaced was due to the butterfly in it not opening/closing properly. It also had the pedal assembly and cruise assembly replaced in September 2012 (warranty)

After that, it drove fine. Heaps of power off the line and didn't throw warning lights and engine fault lights. Has done 75,000kms, according to the Fleet card invoice for last month.
Serviced at Holden since new, not too pricey (compared to some of the VW's and Citroen's we have) - Did have the tires replaced on it at 10,567kms due to uneven wear and excessive tire noise.
Has had the seat cushion (drivers) replaced at 35,000kms - Because one of our manager's who use it is quite - well, large.

Bluetooth can be hit and miss some days, but not as bad as my XR6. Had a software upgrade in Feb 2013 to the IQ system and its been a lot better since then. It's pretty easy to park with both the camera and reverse sensors. It's also got those "extra" little circular mirrors stuck on the side mirrors (Makes it really easy to see the lines when parking and to also see what's in the car's blindspot.)

Also, was involved in a front end accident in June 2013 - Drivers fault (not me - one of the other managers) and the bill for repairs (just for our car, not the other party) was over $5500, just for a new bumper, bonnet and headlight. So make sure its got full comprehensive insurance I guess (being so new, why would it not?)

As for any thing else, there's not much else listed in the service history, just the recommended oil changes and what not.
Also, it has a Optima battery installed due to the 2 way radio installed in it. (People would leave it on and it would flatten the battery within a few hours) - so make sure you replace the factory Holden one as soon as you can, it's rubbish. (and Holden won't replace it under warranty, unless its 6 months old) They will just charge it up and send you on your way. Had a few faults with starting it with the original battery (immobilizer) If I remember correctly.
Its been serviced every 15,000kms or thereabouts.

Side Note: The centre console side panels drive me nuts. They never "click" into their location properly and the rattle like a mofo. They got siliconed down last week because I'd had enough. All the clips have been replaced twice by Holden - Still the same issue. (till the silicone).

Last edited: