Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

(AFM) Active Fuel Management

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I wish I could but it has been sold and I promised myself I would wait till the VF comes out this year. Who wants to pay $45k for a 3-year-old model? I can just see the AFM having problems and Holden palming it off as “normal”.

Isn’t a trailblazer like a 4WD? So it wouldn’t have the same 6.0L engine. Has any one heard reports how these engines go in the G8’s shipped to the U.S.A? How long have the AFM’s been shipped there that would give a predicted lifespan guessing someone who has clocked up a fair few miles on them.

SSbeast

Reaction score
The only issue I see with the deactivating cylinders is that everyone who spends thousands of dollars with exhausts, when it deactivates cylinders at cruise it'll sound like a 4cyl **** box and only sound nice under acceleration.

spanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE,VE SS SEDAN
Honda has a cylinder shut down system on the V6 engine in the Accord.It switches between 6/4 and 3 cylinders.When on 3 cylinders it shut an entire bank down,when on 4 cylinders it shuts down a cylinder on each bank.The system closes all valves,shuts down the injectors but the spark plug continues to fire.
Shut down is seamless and can hardly be felt.
There has been no engine/electrical issues with this system.

Best way to save fuel......cut down the weight.
Which is easier said than down as government and market requirements have to be met.(ie we all love electric everything and a/c as standard,which adds to weight)

Just my two cents

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
The system closes all valves,shuts down the injectors but the spark plug continues to fire.
Shut down is seamless and can hardly be felt.

i think that pushing the truth a little, the valve train is still working perfectly normal, the ecu just stops injector pulses, when load sensors fitted to the engine detect that the car is coasting or going downhill, it simply cuts injectors, the ecu also swaps the dead cylinders around to ensure the inner core of the cylinders are lubricated, petrol lubricates the valves,

so a few facts,

1. the engine dosnt use more fuel switching between cylinders - the whole idea of afm wouldn't be worth it would it
2. the engine physically dosnt alter the way it works, all valves operate, every piston moves up and down, - if the valves didnt move the engine wouldn't turn would it,
3.the ecu cuts cylinders at times of no load, or very little load, it also switches the working cylinders around to ensure valves are being lubricated by petrol
4.you dont notice it working
5.it only works on freeway type work or coasting down hills, it'll rarely work around town

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
But like i said before... if you are worried about fuel consumption why would you buy a V8 to start with ?

afm on V8's is a waste of time if you ask me.....

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
It wouldn't be so bad if they could do it without sacrificing any power.

I worked it out - saving 1L/100km saves about $260 per year. That's based on 20,000km per year and fuel price of $1.30/L (it's currently about $0.97/L in my area).

$260 per year! Pfft, I'd rather have the 10kW thanks!

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Agree give me the 10kW. Have read on the G8 forums that you can only achieve the AFM when.

Its not cold, cos AFM wont work,
When you’re above a certain speed limit
If you have a head wind it won’t work

I'll keep hush about giving the AFM stick now until it comes out later in the month and in the new VF, which is when I intend to purchase

forhuksake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 & VS EX-COP
the hardware has been in service since 2006 in Australia but wasn't software activated on purpose. the testing has been completed and look very good. when you coast along it activates you cannot tell the difference between v4 and v8 mode but the fuel costs will go down unless your a lead foot.

it works on a new type of valve when active oil goes to these valves and pushes 2 pins and locks in both valves creating a chamber of air, so there is no loss in energy when compressed and saves on using unnecessary petrol.it locks of every second cylinder to even the load, and saves also on the temp from rising and using more energy,then needed.

holdenhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve valais v 6.0 ltr
hi there i just purchased a 2008 model ve valais v V8, has my car have this AFM that switches to 4 cylinders. Is there why how i can find out,,,thanks

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
hi there i just purchased a 2008 model ve valais v V8, has my car have this AFM that switches to 4 cylinders. Is there why how i can find out,,,thanks

Im sure it would either have a badge, something to show you when it turns on or a the very least the info would prob be in the manual.
AFAIK they are not being delivered until march with AFM.