Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After market trans cooler pipes

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have a Davies Craig cooler but not sure which way it flows. Both fittings are on the top. Need to hopefully find out which side with me facing the engine I connect my main line from the trans too, left or right?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi Losh,

Probably doesn't make that much difference but generally into the cooler at the top and out at the bottom back to the trans that's if I'm correctly understanding what you are doing , but with both connections at the top, it shouldn't make much difference.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hi Losh,

Probably doesn't make that much difference but generally into the cooler at the top and out at the bottom back to the trans that's if I'm correctly understanding what you are doing , but with both connections at the top, it shouldn't make much difference.

Cool, it probably normally would have a top and bottom fitting if it was turned on its side. But to do that I would need to attach it to the face of the rad like it was originally. Now I am using brackets in the factory location I have it turned 90deg. Guess I will run the return line on the passenger side of the cooler and put the other one on the drivers side.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like a good plan !

PS thanks for the SMS with the photo

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Firstly that's a good link to read.

Anyway going through it it probably isn't any issue which way the fluid flows as there's no one way valve so either left or right doesn't really make that much difference from where I see it.

Happy to be corrected though on this issue.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think i have it in the way the instructions have it anyway. I don't know for sure that the out line for the trans is the bottom one but the old trans tech had it going to the bottom of the rad cooler, so presumably it is right. I just left that one as it was and run the lines to the ext cooler.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Think longer metal line goes to top fitting on radiator.

Lower fitting goes through chassis rail hole to one end of transcooler

Other end of transcooler goes back around through chassis rail to shorter(lower) metal trans line

Auto is basically a big pump so once air is bled out the lines transcooler will work in most configurations anyway...some debate whether or not to hook lines up to radiator or not at all but makes more sense to do it imo.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would still go via the original cooler in the radiator as every little bit of help in keeping the temp down is a good thing unless you are installing a massive cooler the size of the radiator itself, then I wouldn't worry about the original internal version.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Remembering that the trans needs to get up to temp too.
That's why I run mine through the cooler and then the radiator (pull excess temperature out and then equalise to rad temp). That's my theory anyway.
I also feed coolers to the lower and return from the higher. My thought is drain back while sitting, and faster pressure on start up.