Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket Engine Covers For SS

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
I painted the standard plastic cover on my SSV and I think it looks crap. I did a decent job on the painting but it just looks cheaper now than it did without paint. I'm looking for the split covers, I know there are plenty on eBay but it does'nt give me a good enough idea of what they look like on the car, anyone got any pics? The Walkinshaw ones are perfect, but for $630 I don't think so.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
I bought a pair of new engine covers on ebay ,fibreglass in red . The fit was crap ,they sat too high and it looked bad so the i bought another pair of red fibreglass from another ebay vendor and allthough they looked good in the pics they turned out to sit just as high and i sold then off too.
so i gave up and got my original clamshell cover covered in hydrograffic film , that was a nightmare as i would not stick , he did it 3 times and ended up painting most of it in rainbow chrome paint. it looks good from 5m but is not great up close and the guy is now over it so its now hangin in my shed.

i was thinkin of getting a pair of covette covers from the states but hey its not a corvette so i havnt bothered and now just have the naked look and i dont mind it .

\

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Yeah thats exactly what I was worried about, the fiberglass ebay ones do look to sit very high, nearly looks like they are clamping the engine. As i said the Walkinshaw ones are the only ones that look good but I cant justify spending that on engine covers. I might just go for the naked look as well, needs a bit of a clean anyway.

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
^^^ Yeah I think you are right. Does anyone know if the split covers from a VZ L98/L76 will fit on the VE L98? The engines are identical aren't they?

bkvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportwagon
vessenginebay.jpg

Hey pal. i think painted cover looks ok, will be doing what i did on my vy ss and cut the centre section out to show the manifold but yeah it needs to be cleaned. cant justify too much cost for something i wont look at very often lol.
Difference between vy/vz cover is early models had a bracket to screw covers to and late models have a clip on style ! not sure if u can convert the early stuff to late ?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Split covers FTW!

These fit, eludes to the engine's pedigree... a Corvette LS2 with better heads and manifold:

garage_attachment.php

On the world stage we may look back at SSV Sportwagon as a limited run Corvette Station Wagon :yarr:

Retaining big turtle shell and skull cap over the bananas reduces noise at the expense of very high temp fuel rail. 25-28° ambient then vaporization is not an issue, cool to touch. However at 42°+ and spirited driving, fuel rails are scalding - better off nude with cooling air rather than pimped-up heatsoaked top hat.

Last edited:

bkvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportwagon
Zactly why im cutting the centre section out. love to have an almost invisible slit/opening in bonnet to let cold air in to engine bay ! mebbe im dreaming but see what i can find lol.

bkvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportwagon
If you like them go for it mate. Dont matter what others think. Your car ! Do it how you want it . Ftw ! Haha.