Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket headlights for VE (with DRL) - have you fitted them?

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of getting some DRL equipped after-market headlights and I'm wondering if anyone's had any first hand experience with the ones from 'drllites.com.au' - available off ebay.

I like the idea of DRLs as I drive 200k a day on highways and leave the headlights on all the time so Camry drivers coming the other way see me... Plus, I would like better low beam performance as the standard reflector type low beams in the VE are only so-so. I know the projector lenses are much better.

Just wondering if anyone here has installed the lights from the mob above and, if so, what the quality etc is like. I'm not keen if they're going to go yellow, show stone chips after 2 mins or have poor optics etc.

Any feedback would be great.

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks - I did try a search, but that was before my coffee....:hit:

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Before you go changing anything, make sure that any replacement that might be affected, complies with A.D.R. standards. Remember ....any (ANY) modification(s), unless approved to ADR standards, that change/alter/modify any aspect of your vehicle from the ADR standards/requirements that existed at the time of manufacture of your vehicle are ILLEGAL.

The following may also be of some assistance to you regarding lights: Motor vehicles have been required to comply with Australian Design Rules (ADR's) for lighting since October 1991. ADR 13 mandates the number and position of lamp assemblies, ADR 46 prescribes the photometric requirements of the lamp itself and ADR 51 is the standard for filament bulbs.

ADR 51 accepts ECE regulation 37 as an alternative standard for filament bulbs and prescribes the dimensional and photometric requirements for filament bulbs (including headlamps). This ensures inter-changeability and correct functioning when installed in a complying lamp unit.

All complying bulbs sold in Australia would be marked with the "E" mark and possibly the words "Suitable for European Use". The packaging may also indicate compliance with ADR 51 or ECE 37.

When a replacement complying bulb of the correct type (for example H4 45/60 Watts) for a complying headlamp is fitted to that assembly, the light emitted will be within the spectral requirements for white light. This will not be in breach of Section 63 to Schedule 1 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management- Vehicle Safety and Standards) Regulation 1999.
Although these lamps are a standard fitment to many newer vehicles, a "blue" complying lamp can be fitted to a lamp assembly on a vehicle that was not originally fitted with these bulbs.

It is important to note that ADR 51 limits the power of various bulb types, and bulbs of a similar style but higher power rating will not comply and should not be used. For example, the common H4 bulb that has a complying rating of 45/60 watts, is available in much higher rating of 45/100 watts. The higher powered bulbs produce more glare and the resulting light pattern would not comply with the ADR.

Although regulations do not require drivers of pre-1991 vehicles to fit complying bulbs, consumers should be careful when fitting non-complying "blue" light bulbs to pre-ADR vehicles, as the resulting light spectrum may fall outside the standard for white light (that is, the blue frequencies may predominate).

If a Licenced Examiner suspects that the light output from a headlight appears blue, the examiner should take appropriate action based on the following summary tables:

For vehicles manufactured on or after 1 October 1991
• Bulb must be marked.
• Bulb must be the correct wattage.

For vehicles manufactured prior to 1 October 1991
• Bulb does not have to be marked.
• Bulb may be alternative higher wattage.
• Bulb must not show obvious blue light (when viewed directly ahead).

Licenced Examiners Action:
If, during the course of an inspection, Licenced Examiners have cause to inspect vehicles modified by changing the original lighting componentry assemblies, they are to ensure that individual vehicles comply with the previously mentioned details. Modifications of this type
which do not comply with the above requirements are to be rejected immediately.

The following link will provide you with all of the technical information you will require in order to make an informed decision in regard to the legality of the intended lights. Good luck.

ComLaw Legislative Instruments - Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 76/00 - Daytime Running Lamps) 2006 (ADR 76/00)

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Benboy,

Good points and they were going to be questions of the manufacturer before I handed over any money. There's probably a good chance they would fail on at least one ADR criteria (they leave the DRLs on when the side lights/low beams are on which is a no-no) so I think I might just look for a set of SSV/CalaisV projector headlights and just keep the h/lights on when driving. Or buy a GTS complete with DRLs! ha ha ha

Cheers.

[QW-11-KE]

Reaction score
Members Ride
E CLUBSPORT R8
hey mate.... i had them on my ve ss before i bought the r8....... they look good... thats about it... the brightness isnt as good as ur current lights.... at night on a rainy day i couldnt see the road the beam just dissappears.... but then again i live in the city so it doesnt really matter theres lights everywhere.....

if ur lookin for a better beam dont go for them

WallyBasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I too bought these and have been running them for a couple of months now. Dropping the front bar to get them in was the only painful part, apart from that, I've had no worries at all with them and quite like them personally. But I'm also running full HID's in them, so I definitely have no issues at all with light.

Link to my car on these forums. It will let you see what they look like at night, I also got the taillights from DRLlites too. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/ve-wm/168670-my-black-my-9-5-sv6-sedan.html#post1868030