Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket tunnel brace

Wongsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 SS-Z Ute Manual
Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket tunnel brace to suit 3" exhausts? They are usually u-shaped instead of flat like the factory brace and hangs lower to provide additional clearance to the exhaust to prevent rattling or touching.

I have seen them in the US for Camaros and G8's but prefer to source one locally if possible.

Thanks in advance.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Not sure what your on about exactly (cross member?) but care to explain why you need one?

Wongsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 SS-Z Ute Manual
Not sure what your on about exactly (cross member?) but care to explain why you need one?

I am referring to the black metal plate that goes across the transmission tunnel and under the exhaust.
http://image.camaroperformers.com/f/28213460/camp_1006_07_o+2010_chevy_camaro_ss+tunnel_brace.jpg

The shop who fitted my 3" exhaust did not put it back on because it was touching the pipes and creating a rattle.

The brace apparently stiffens the tunnel and reduces chassis flex when cornering. I know it looks like a flimsy piece of steel but Holden must have put it there for a good reason.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
I see.
I wouldnt think it would work as well for chassis strengthening if the brace curved but im no engineer.
Couldnt you use longer bolts and add some kind of bracket ( a few washers even) to lower the standard brace15 or so mm

Wongsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 SS-Z Ute Manual
I would have shimmed it if the bloke who fitted the exhaust hadn't thrown the brace out lol. I was a bit cut that he didn't tell me and by the time I realised it was too late. And God knows how much Holden wants to charge for a bit of sheet metal lol.

The aftermarket ones I have seen are made from RHS so they just as rigid if not more even with the offset.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Just get two and weld them together!! It's pretty much just a thicker brace anyway, (the one's from BMR)