Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFTERMARKET turbo install & INSURANCE options

JETURBO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF R8 SV
Great reply offshore

This is why I wanted first hand experience, not hearsay

Can you give us a basic run down on the mods and how honest you were with NRMA and if they are listed on the policy ?

Value doesn't bother me but not being declined on an accident does so that's all that really matters and a basic agreed value

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
just a heads up as well for you.
if you go looking online at quotes there is a near guarantee youde be knocked back but if you speak to them in person it can normally be a different response.
not only that while there you can get them to ring up their people and possibly get it above what they may be willing to go for.

have been involved with that before where the max amount they would allow suddenly goes up if you can list what has been done etc.
that was being 100% honest after pointing out that about 2 days prior they actually had the ability to go higher.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
These people that say no insurance company insures is incorrect. I have a highly modded VF just about every thing on the car is modified including totally different engine. And its insured with NRMA no worries. The only thing is they dont insure for the full worth of the mods etc. So if you want to insure that you have to go through some one like Shannons etc.

Have you ever needed to make a claim?

The thing is, that a car insurance company will often be happy to take your money regardless of modifications. The ability to make a claim relies on the assumption that your car is roadworthy condition. The onus is on you to ensure that your car is in a roadworthy condition at all times. An insurance company doesn't have the ability over the phone to tell you what proportion, if any, of your modifications are legal and which aren't.

When you need to make a claim and your car is deemed un-roadworthy, you'll probably struggle to get any money out of the insurance company. Realistically, if it's un-roadworthy, it shouldn't have been on the road in the first place (therefore, the accident wouldn't likely have occurred otherwise).

At the end of the day, car insurance companies exist to make a profit, and do so by reducing the number of claims that they need to pay out. If you've carefully read your PDS, you'll note the clauses and additional details that plenty of people seem to overlook, and only seem to become aware of after an accident.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm through Just Car and they know exactly how molested mine is. I have in writing from them that they will honour any relevant claim unless it is proven an 'incorrectly modified' component was the cause. I can live with that.

Just Car is AAMI's poor man version of Shannon's but perfect for a 16 year old pig like mine.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Great reply offshore

This is why I wanted first hand experience, not hearsay

Can you give us a basic run down on the mods and how honest you were with NRMA and if they are listed on the policy ?

Value doesn't bother me but not being declined on an accident does so that's all that really matters and a basic agreed value

Do yourself a huge huge favour, ring these insurers and talk to them - they don't bite.

No point saying x bloke on JC told me so after you are in a prang.

Do your due diligence and ask the questions, then study the PDS as well.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

It doesn't pay to not be honest, otherwise (depending on what you do or don't mention) they can flat out refuse to pay depending on what is in their T&Cs and contracts.

The thing is, that a car insurance company will often be happy to take your money regardless of modifications.

This will be your biggest test. They will happily "insure" you, but that doesn't automatically mean they will pay out. Depending on how your accident occurred or what you were doing during an accident will also have an affect (that one I can tell you from experience).

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I would strongly suggest getting a quote from the company I linked on the last page.

I tried to get insurance from NRMA, Shannon's & a number of other companies & ended up settling for Justcar as they were the only ones that would insure my vehicle. I found out about the other company I posted on the last page & will try them when my car is back on the road.

JETURBO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF R8 SV
Great replys thanks, the obvious purpose of this thread is to at least see if it's worth picking up the phone and who to start ringing with

Then to assure me the purchase of the turbo and accessories is worthwhile

Looks like there is at least three companies i can start with

Thanks fellas :)

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
All my vehicles are insured through shannons. Id be careful with NRMA and Justcar as they will gladly take your money but i know firsthand that they will then not pay out if you car is written off and then they're like "nah mate we dont insure no turbro commodores"....

JETURBO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF R8 SV
Bingo ! ^^^ this is why i ask ^^^

Can you tell me more about your situation and how it went down ?