Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFTERMARKET turbo install & INSURANCE options

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Bingo ! ^^^ this is why i ask ^^^

Can you tell me more about your situation and how it went down ?

end of the day if it's not on the policy any insurer will wriggle out, if you also lie/fail to mention stuff that will be covered in the PDS.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
All my vehicles are insured through shannons. Id be careful with NRMA and Justcar as they will gladly take your money but i know firsthand that they will then not pay out if you car is written off and then they're like "nah mate we dont insure no turbro commodores"....

LOL, speaking as a Justcar policy holder that's why you tick the box that says Turbo or charger and/or modified transmission, etc.... which also ends up on your policy statement, have you actually had a claim denied or are you just making stuff up as you go?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
LOL, speaking as a Justcar policy holder that's why you tick the box that says Turbo or charger and/or modified transmission, etc.... which also ends up on your policy statement, have you actually had a claim denied or are you just making stuff up as you go?

the people who get denied are the ones who lie or fail to mention things (or smash the car drunk, lol).

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
the people who get denied are the ones who lie or fail to mention things (or smash the car drunk, lol).

Exactly. My point was a poster stating "Watch out for Justcar" when the fact is they exist for folk like myself and lying on the policy completely defeats the purpose of why you'd use them in the first place.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The problem with insurance is that many people hear what they want to hear.

If you put a turbo on a v6 commodore for example, without having it certified/engineered, you certainly won't be covered by any insurance regardless of what mods you've listed. Unless of course the assessor isn't properly qualified for their position.

There won't be any hard and fast answer to the op's question. Just because one person got a payout from an accident involving an illegally modified vehicle, doesn't mean that everybody will be covered in the same or similar scenario with similar modifications.

The decision to pay out is obviously on a case by case basis. Besides, people aren't going to discuss their favourable results from an insurance claim over a public forum, especially in the case of modified cars - and rightly so. If an insurance company finds out that you didn't qualify to claim, they'll likely take action against you to get their money back and then some.

Obviously the results can vary, but it's something that I wouldn't risk. Get it engineered and modified legitimately and you won't have any dramas.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
end of the day if it's not on the policy any insurer will wriggle out, if you also lie/fail to mention stuff that will be covered in the PDS.

Everything was ticked. Wasn't drunk. Not going into further details about it sorry.

I'm Just saying that just because they may accept an engineered modification, read the PDS and associated fine print, because they CAN and WILL wiggle their way out of anything, and even go to the extent of phone calls trying to imply that you are trying to be dodgy etc etc.

Insurance companies exist to make profit pure and simple, they dont want to pay out on claims and employ a lot of legal professionals and investigators to try not to pay. Just ask any decent solicitor that sues them.

I do like how you guys appeared to assume that i lied or did not disclose modifications to them. That is not the case...

My policies with shannons cover right down to fine details like interior trims, aftermarket gauges everything you could think of, even the aftermarket billet bonnet and boot hinges for christ sake, and ALL engine modifications, from headers to carb to sump, and my dealings with them so far have been very good, and for relatively expensive vehicles with lots of aftermarket modifications, their premiums are quite low.

Just my two bob.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I don't disagree with any of what's been posted but to return back to the question; yes there are insurers who's core business is high performance and modified vehicles. Yes, any insurer will try to weasel out of a payout on any technicality. Yes, lying on your policy is ridiculously stupid and yes, expecting any insurer to ignore illegal mods if you claim is a fools paradise.

Sorry to hear it enroh, doing the right thing and still getting burned is complete and utter ****.

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
I guess Shannons insure modified cars which until something happens which involves power or road smash turbo;s , SCs ect... lets say you write the car off for example, the underwriter will then ask what modifications were listed on the policy and lets find out if these are engineered. Its then a case of them saying Sorry bud your turbo wasn't engineered. no cover. What exactly do you think the police will look for on your car if your involved in a car crash?? A nice fat turbo under the hood is a dead give away. If you want to be 100 percent legit and have everything covered, get it engineered thru the right channels. Furthermore there are a lot of people out there, wont touch a car with a turbo or SC that's not permitted, you would to be a idiot to do so,, theyre not worth a tin of s@@t unless legal.