Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ai insurance

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I just did an AI quote for fun and erm, that's a pretty bad price. Shannons give me a better price.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
my quote was only 900 bucks with ai. all the others were over 1500 apart from just cars. some wouldn't even insure me because im under 30

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
all the insurance companies are following the ammi racv pattern now. which means anything over 2 years old gets god awful bog repairs and or second hand parts with even more bog. ive got a 2011 xr6 ute im doing right now thats with racv, has a new front guard, door skin, repaired cab corner (edge to edge bog) and edge to edge bog on the quarter panel. all the plastic lower skirts are full of filler too. the door skin was half the price of a new door shell (i hate door skins).

i wont go with an insurer unless choice of repairer is included in the policy. that way theres not a bunch of body shops fighting to be the lowest bidder when it comes to fixing you pride and joy. if your over 25 id say pay what ever shannons is asking, ive made a claim with them cant praise them enough. you cant put a price on a hassle free insurance claim. what ever you do stay away from racv at all costs. look up all the compaines that suncorp own and stay away from all of them. they may have different names but they all operate under the same formula (with the exclusion of shannons).

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
I had third party property with Just cars and it seemed pretty good - I didnt have to make a claim though. Try a quote online for comprehensive because i knew when i tried to do mine and include mods (wheels, suspension, $500 sound equipment, body kit) which is hardly anything in comparison to others it was around 3k which is crazyily high when insuring a 5-6k car.
Insurance company sees it as a 'crazy' risk insuring a car with mods equal to or more then half it's value.

Yeah true. Fair enough :)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
all the insurance companies are following the ammi racv pattern now. which means anything over 2 years old gets god awful bog repairs and or second hand parts with even more bog. ive got a 2011 xr6 ute im doing right now thats with racv, has a new front guard, door skin, repaired cab corner (edge to edge bog) and edge to edge bog on the quarter panel. all the plastic lower skirts are full of filler too. the door skin was half the price of a new door shell (i hate door skins).

i wont go with an insurer unless choice of repairer is included in the policy. that way theres not a bunch of body shops fighting to be the lowest bidder when it comes to fixing you pride and joy. if your over 25 id say pay what ever shannons is asking, ive made a claim with them cant praise them enough. you cant put a price on a hassle free insurance claim. what ever you do stay away from racv at all costs. look up all the compaines that suncorp own and stay away from all of them. they may have different names but they all operate under the same formula (with the exclusion of shannons).

RACV is 70% owned by IAG - same company that owns NRMA

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
NRMA insurance is good if you have a regular car in regular condition. However if you have a VX with only 76,000km on it, and a restored VB, it doesn't really cut it, I'm afraid.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
id love to start a thread showing you what you get with certain companies but i had to sign a contract with my body shop not to bash it on social media or be terminated and face legal action. even though i wouldnt be naming or bashing my employer, id say posting up what happens to other peoples cars on here might breach the contract. a piece of paper has never stopped me before though. were working on a 3 year old xf jag right now and the bastards (racv) wouldnt even put a new back door on the thing, 3/4 of the door skin is bog. this is on a 70+ thousand dollar car too, imagine what they'd do to your commodore... it makes me sick what he have to do...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
id love to start a thread showing you what you get with certain companies but i had to sign a contract with my body shop not to bash it on social media or be terminated and face legal action. even though i wouldnt be naming or bashing my employer, id say posting up what happens to other peoples cars on here might breach the contract. a piece of paper has never stopped me before though. were working on a 3 year old xf jag right now and the bastards (racv) wouldnt even put a new back door on the thing, 3/4 of the door skin is bog. this is on a 70+ thousand dollar car too, imagine what they'd do to your commodore... it makes me sick what he have to do...

if only they didn't cheap out on insurance with their $70k car eh? If you cheap out on insurance and don't look into the insurer then I say - bad luck. There are enough bad news stories if you look around with many cheaper insurers (and RACX's) that it comes back to buyer beware.

The problem arises when a shop undercuts everyone else to bring in the work rather than quoting what they should imo. I mean if you charged more labour for the repair than a new door is worth then the customer gets the door right?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
if only they didn't cheap out on insurance with their $70k car eh? If you cheap out on insurance and don't look into the insurer then I say - bad luck. There are enough bad news stories if you look around with many cheaper insurers (and RACX's) that it comes back to buyer beware.

The problem arises when a shop undercuts everyone else to bring in the work rather than quoting what they should imo. I mean if you charged more labour for the repair than a new door is worth then the customer gets the door right?

(to the OP, i just did an AI job today, had good repair and paint times and new panels. the car was a piece of **** too so thats a good sign)

nothing about RA's ad's say "cheap", clean modern work shops with late model cars and A1 repairs. in reality those cars are getting like taxi cabs. not only that all the repairs have a lifetime warranty, so when all that bog cracks out its up to the shop that did the work to fix it out of pocket. dammed if you do take those jobs and dammed if you dont you dont because you wont make any money.

not only will they knock back putting a new part to save money they cut the repair times down too so repairing it properly is economically out of the question. dont get me wrong the structural stuff has to be up the scratch, but the cosmetic stuff anything goes. with the undercutting thing, the insurance simply wont give you the job if its not low to begin with, and they perpetuate the problem by only giving the job to lowest cheap and nasty that quotes it, and not the reputable shop that puts a fair price on the job. they know what goes on too because they wont pay the shop unless theres pictures of everything... heres that xf jag.

photobucket-22883-1378196337719_zps0eabd6e0.jpg

photobucket-43825-1378196396799_zpscc75d603.jpg

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Insurance companies are ####ed. That's why my dad left the spray painting/panel beating trade because he couldnt take any pride in his work anymore because insurance wanted everything done fast and cheap. He wouldnt put his name to anything that was just bodged up so he pretty much had no job in the trade anymore. That and the pay was crap.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2