Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Compressor & Air Tool Recommendations

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
Also make sure you buy quality air attachments, I just had my el cheapo rattle (impact) gun lock up on me, and as far as I know I can't open it up (it's sealed) and I forgot where I bought it, so keep that in mind.

don't forget to oil them.
i oil mine before and after use.
also as i said use a water filter.

and u get what u pay for.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Get a belt drive with minimum 14cfm capacity. Most are made in China but don't get one from Bunnings or KMart. The direct drive units are crap. At least with a belt drive you can replace the motor later on if it packs up, and it eventually will. I went through 2 direct drives and they are pretty ordinary. Look at spending $400+ on a half decent one.

As for air tools, keep your docket. If the tool packs up within the warranty period, take it back and get a refund or replacement.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Thanks to everyone for their replies so far, much appreciated. Please keep the ideas and comments coming.:thumbsup:

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
we sell them at work (supercheap) too if ur on a budget...

2.0hp $99 (direct drive, useless for most ****, heaps returned)
2.5hp $195 (direct drive, decent quality good for price, very little returned)
2.75hp $399 (belt driven, high quality, good output, zero returned)

thats all we have at our store, i think there is a 3.0 hp belt driven one aswell. all come wid a 12 month replacement warrenty.

lots of tools to run off them as well all in store, wat ever your looking for should have it. recommend the 2.5hp at least to run most stuff.

hope that helps
cheers
ryan

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
well the best rattle gun brand is ingasol ram, will go forever and has godo torque.

dont get a second hand one. get a new one and dont forget to oil it (propper air tool oil, not gear oil)

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Where could I buy air compressor oil? I have a belt driven one and dad's never done any maintenance whatsoever on it, it's at least 6 years old and sounds really loud, I rekon I should get some oil into it before it packs up.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Get a belt drive with minimum 14cfm capacity. Most are made in China but don't get one from Bunnings or KMart. The direct drive units are crap. At least with a belt drive you can replace the motor later on if it packs up, and it eventually will. I went through 2 direct drives and they are pretty ordinary. Look at spending $400+ on a half decent one.

As for air tools, keep your docket. If the tool packs up within the warranty period, take it back and get a refund or replacement.

17cfm is about as much as you can reliably get out of a single phase motor. Anything more "claimed" is probably a wank. 14-17 cfm will drive most air tools quite well. As Slim and others said - belt drive is the way to go. For occasional garage use don't be too worried about the brand - just look at the capacity in CFM and the rated power of the motor (2 - 2.2kw for single phase).

Keep an eye on the oil in the crank case (should be 1/2 way up the eyeglass). Don't over fill it.

Reaper

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Guys, I've had a couple of things suggested to me. First being to perhaps look at a cordless impact wrench, namely this one here:

http://www.hitachi-powertools.com.au...roduct=WR18DMR
Being the Hitachi 18v model.

And for the rattle gun for use with a compressor:

http://www.justtools.com.au/prod1798.htm
Being a Chicago Pneumatics 1/2" Heavy Duty Impact Wrench Kit

What are your thoughts? I'm still not 100% sure on the size compressor needed to run the rattle gun?

Any feedback appreciated.