Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air-con/cabin fan issue.

bt.sweeney

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 5.7 M6
Hi All,

My first post, apologies if I get this wrong or am posting in the wrong area. I'm not tech savvy.

Hoping someone can shed light on a small issue with my 02' VY SV8.

*After approx 30mins with aircon running the volume of air coming from vents decreases significantly.
(Changing the cabin fan setting "1" through to "4" makes no difference. The air flow is stifled).

*During this period of decreased airflow, if the A/C button is switched off for 1 minute, then switched on again, the airflow resumes at nominal pressure.

My assumption is the evaporator is icing up and not entering a defrost protocol. Thus preventing airflow through the cabin air channels.

Any advice/knowledge much appreciated.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Your hypothesis does sound correct. Icing up of the evaporator would be the only thing that could block the airflow temporarily.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
get ya head under the dash and have a look

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Time to get a cheap borescope down the vents.

Alternative access to see into the evaporator core is to remove glove box, footwell panel, fan motor, and the resistor. Via the fan hole, you can get your arm in (unless you’re arm is fat as) and use your phone to gets photo in there. Borescope in through the resistor hole is also easy.

Last edited:

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Stick a temp probe or thermometer in one of the dash vents then run the aircon, should get to around 5 degrees. If it drops below 0 degrees you might have a evaporator temp sensor problem