Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air-con Fan on all the time

luke.v

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Berlina
Hi

Can someone help me please. I went to my VR Berlina (with climate control air) yesterday and found that the aircon fan stays on all the time whether or not the aircon is on or off.

That's scary enough but it even stays on when the ignition is off and the key is removed!!!

I have had to remove the main fuseable link from under the bonnet to stop it.
Any suggestions?

Cheers!

v8_stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman 5.0
hey man i have the exact same ****ing problem in my vr statesman,how annoying is it lol.having to put the fuse in all the time when its hot then take it out when ya stop the car lol.i only put the fuse in when its a really hot day.please help us some1 as im desperate to find out what it is to.cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
In most cases where something keeps running after you turn it off it is caused by a relay that is stuck in the on position. Try swapping the blower relay with one of the same type.

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Yeah, swapping the suspect relay with the one for the horn is my favorite trick. if the horn stays on all the time or won't work at all, you've found the culprit

luke.v

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Berlina
V8 Stato - I feel sorry for you man! What a giant pain!

Thanks guys, I tried to swap the relay with another earlier on. I thought that might be the culprit but unfortunately not.

Is there another relay within the dash or just the one under the bonnet?

Cheers

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
It's a common problem with the Climate Control, Try searching.
The fault is almost always caused by the fan speed resistor, and the fan will will not stop even when the car is turned off (unless the fuse is pulled)

So: Replace your fan speed resistor.
This should help :)
OzJD

luke.v

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 Berlina
Thanks OzJD

Can you tell me where the resistor is located? Is it actually within the fan housing (so I have to pull the whole fan out) or can I get to it some other way?

Cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Thanks OzJD

Can you tell me where the resistor is located? Is it actually within the fan housing (so I have to pull the whole fan out) or can I get to it some other way?

Cheers
It's behind that grille thing where the wiper motor is, on the passenger side near the middle.