Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Con Headaches V6

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Gday guys

I have a VY that's not playing ball. I've tried two used pumps and a new TX valve - and no joy. The A/C bloke it telling me to just replace everything - condensor, dryer and a new pump. I'm reluctant because I've had VY's in the past that have had all new parts fitted and still don't work.

He was confident he couldn't isolate the issue hence his suggestion to just replace the lot. Any assistance or suggestions would be great. thanks guys

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
So did it vac it down ?, and leave it for 1/2 hour ?
Did it move from -30 micron meters ?
Install Fluorescent dye in the system , then re-gas it ?,
If he didnt

He is not a competent Refrigeration Mechanic,
Find another Fridgy !

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Hard to diagnose an ac fault over the internet, need more info. Is the ac compressor turning on at all?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What does the evaporator look like? You can access that by removing the fan and the duct and getting your phone in down there for a picture.

You can also just remove the resistor and get a borescope in there for a look.

There’s no cabin filter and after 20 years there’s a lot of dust and debris that builds up.
If that is caked up with grot, that’s a huge drop in cooling performance of the system and you can be chasing all sorts when a clogged evaporator has not been explored.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
If he didnt

Find another Fridgy !
thanks for the reply! yeh his gas has dye mate. it's not leaking - compressor clutches in but won't get cold. He does not know if it's blocked somewhere or the two compressors (both used items) are not pumping

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
What does the evaporator look like? You can access that by removing the fan and the duct and getting your phone in down there for a picture.

You can also just remove the resistor and get a borescope in there for a look.

There’s no cabin filter and after 20 years there’s a lot of dust and debris that builds up.
If that is caked up with grot, that’s a huge drop in cooling performance of the system and you can be chasing all sorts when a clogged evaporator has not been explored.
I'll have a look at evap but the cabin is not dusty or dirty at all. the car has low kMS for the age (180)

its not a lack of performance - there's no performance at all! thanks mate
Hard to diagnose an ac fault over the internet, need more info. Is the ac compressor turning on at all?
clutches in mate for sure

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
If he didnt

Find another Fridgy !
yeh 25 mins on the vac and guages looked exactly where they should be for a healty system. as soon as he dumps gas the guages **** the bed (not where they should be) and system won't get cold. Compressor clutches in no worries there but he's not sure if it's just not pumping sufficeniently or theres another issue

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Do the gauges he used have a small view window so you can see the gas flow like this?

HTB1RW1pFVXXXXbEXFXXq6xXFXXXI.jpg

IF all is well you should see liquid moving when it's running and all hooked up.

If not I'd suspect there is a blockage somewhere.

The AC system is controlled via the PCM, it monitors the system pressure etc so it may pay to see what the PCM is saying, although if the pump is engaging that suggests that part of the system is working.