Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

air con hooked up to air intake?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Most bolt on go faster bits aren't about saving money though. You're right though about it being false economy, spend $100 to save $20.

Instead of having the air directed into the intake, just reroute the aircon lines through the intake, they would have a similar effect to the CO2 bulb. A lot of messing about though.

most HP gained will be lost on the aircon belt's/compressor.

bradcad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina & mazda 2 DE
But my point was its not about hooking up the a/c fulltime, otherwise you would be correct. Rather have the ability to offset some of the power loss when the a/c is used.

PINKY355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HSV WAGON
My grandad has a perpetual motion machine in his shed. Now if only he could get it started !!

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
What I was suggesting with the cost vs benefit comment was that there are better ways to spend the money for the same or better power outcome.

The CO2 system has much in common with a N2O system in terms of the parts it uses. What is different between them will cost a (broadly) similar amount of money. N2O is more expensive to buy than CO2 but the performance gain on it is vastly more than anything possible out of the CO2 based system. Legality is another question.

Chilling the air intake cannot save any money, only increase the maximum available power output. Attempting to cool the intake air at part throttle using the A/C system is self defeating. The A/C system has to work harder to pull the extra heat out of the intake air, hence PINKY355's comment about perpetual motion. At higher loads, it's easier just to open the throttle more if more power is needed. Cold intake air is not necessarily what is needed at part throttle anyway.

At wide open throttle we already covered that the A/C system is turned off. Any extra power can only be made available by creating a cold heat sink when the A/C is working (at part throttle) and then cooling the intake air with that. That is why I was suggesting a practical way to do that might be with a (chilled) water injection system.

The rate of heat transfer due to conduction is a function of temperature and surface area (and a co-efficient for the materials used) so the CO2 bulb will work better than a car A/C because the boiling CO2 will be much colder than the A/C can achieve, even if the surface area is smaller. (The sublimation point - it doesn't boil at atmospheric pressure - of CO2 is -78.5C, a car A/C more like 0-5C.) The surface area even of the full length of an intake duct compared to that of a proper heat exchanger is small though.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Deleted double post.

Last edited:

shano8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS A4
or ya could just move to siberia, bloody cold air there..........

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
theres a fake ferrari in NZ with a V6 commodore motor, twin turbo with A/C cooled intercoolers, unless its extreme the motor would use more power running the a/c than you would gain, in theory it would work but it has to use power to make the power

vnv8driver

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
304 Calais
Airconditioning removes the moisture out of the air i wonder how that would affect the outcome, i recon it would be a step backwards, and hartz- i know what you mean when you swith the aircon on it feels like quarter of your throttle and takeoff has dissapeared lol.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Would be more effective to use a water-to-air after cooler set up.

krawczuk

Reaction score
air con lines and fuel

i know that a 1973? jag i had , had a long alloy block setup, where there where 2 fittings at EACH end... basically it had the two tunnels running right next to each other , one tunnel had the air con refridgerant running thru it , and the other had the fuel running thru it...

my 1 cent worth
mark k