Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con isn't cold enough VN

M

MyDunnyDoorIsRed

Hi there,
My air con isn't really cold and I was wondering if anyone knows what I need to do to get it colder, its "cool" at the moment, but I'm sure it can get colder.
Thanks for the help

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
MyDunnyDoorIsRed said:
Hi there,
My air con isn't really cold and I was wondering if anyone knows what I need to do to get it colder, its "cool" at the moment, but I'm sure it can get colder.
Thanks for the help

refil the gas

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Agree with ^ but if you wanna just check your heater tap, the guts of them gets rotted out and allows hot coolant to flow through the heater core. Just something to check till you book it in for a regass.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Definatly a regas. I have a mate who does mine for free. I do it every year and get my air con to about 6 degrees. Its beautiful. Your air con actually gets moisture in it, and this causes the air to become less cool. When you get it regassed they suck your air con gas out of it, suck the moisutre out then put your air con gas back in. Takes about 1/2 hour, well worth it in summer.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
i agree. and if that doesn't work then bypass the electrical thermostat. I did that at tech when learning air con stuff and got mine down to 0 degrees. it was so cold i had to get out of the car.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Make sure the heater tap is working by switching it on and off and seeing if the lever on the heater tap moves (drivers side near wheel arch) car should be running. If it does let the car cool down if you let it warm up more than two minutes. Then run the car with the a/c on full cold and see if the pipes at the drivers side of the car to the left of the pedals (copper) gets hot. If they do replace the heater tap. If the heater tap does not move check and adjust the vacuum switch (post somewhere here on how to check). If this is all OK then chances are that you have a loss of gas and it will need to be diagnosed and repaired/regassed.

DO NOT BYPASS the thermistat except to check the electrical system as it is there to give the compressor a break when the temp gets cold enough and to stop the system freezing up and becoming useless.

UNDER NO REASON SHOULD YOU EVER BYPASS THE PRESSURE SWITCH except to test the electrical system.....less than about 1% of faults are because of the switch notoperating right.!!!

Regards Guy.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
bangers said:
i agree. and if that doesn't work then bypass the electrical thermostat. I did that at tech when learning air con stuff and got mine down to 0 degrees. it was so cold i had to get out of the car.

wtf!!!!!! 0 degrees!!!!!!!!!!

i believe you can sort of tell if you're aircon needs regassing by feeling the pipe coming away from compressor.
if its not that cold it needs regassing.

failing that, you should be able to go to air con place & get them to test pressure....
(just for the sake of unneccesrily regassing if its something else)

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
had my stem red one bout 2 weeks ago,(hit a roo and squahsed the lines) m y air is 4deg comin out the vents now its awsome in winter, $130 for the regas thats a vr v6.

P

pat

it may be r12 so that will make everything dearer. also take it to an auto elec because as i have found in my area lately there are a lot of mechanic shops buying themselves an a/c machine and saying they do air con. they generally no nothing and have no experiance, you will just end up pissed off and out of pocket. also gsmrobinson is correct so heed his warnings. and remember a simple regas and nothing else is never going to fix your problem.