Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Con on in Drive and car stalls?

Jock

Reaction score
Hi all,
Finally warm enough to have the air con on in Tassie. I have a vp commodore auto with about 260.000 km. Today I turned the air con on once I was driving. The car stalled when I pulled up at a roundabout. iAir con off and into neutral or park and it started fine. I could even turn the air con on. Put it in drive and it stalled. Happened every time. Even when driving at speed with the air con on was ok as long as the revs were kept up. Come of f the throttle and the car would stall.
Anybody got any thoughts? Any and all comments greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jock

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Yeah, sounds like the engine's struggling to pull the aircon pulley. Perhaps it's time for a new compressor?

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
It sounds like the same thing that my car was doing before I replaced the compressor, since replacing the compressor it hasnt happened once.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Correct me if im wrong but idle speed on the vp is controlled by the computer and any additional loads will be taken care of in the idle compensation mechanism, perhaps something is not working here or as suggested the load from the compressor is extraordinary and beyond the operating range of the idle compensation.

Did the idle speed drop when turning on the ac whilst in neutral?
If the motor didnt slow down then the compensation is working, but perhaps couldnt cope with the extra load of putting it in gear as well.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Just adjust the idle screw abit. Looks like you will need a new compressor mayyybe get away with a new bearing if the old one is really bad...

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Just adjust the idle screw abit. Looks like you will need a new compressor mayyybe get away with a new bearing if the old one is really bad...

I might be way off track here but if you adjust the idler screw wont the computer just bring it back down anyway when you restart? Isn't that what the system is about?
If you keep winding it in you'll get to the end and the computer will keep compensating until you have to wind it back again causing the car to not run.

Someone will correct me but seems logical...

I'd say something wrong with the compressor.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
The throttle stop screw controls the Base Idle only.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
ahh throttle stop screw. Thought it said idle screw. must be my bad.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5