Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con problem

JuZo!!!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN CALAIS 3.8 LITRE V6
hey all you fine commy owners:)

gots a problem with the A/C on my calais. when I have the air blowing through the face vents all good right.. then when I accelerate, the face vents stop blowing, and the air rushes to my feet.. starting to drive me nuts now coz i have to really back off the accelerater for the air to come back to the face vents. a friend of mine said that it might be sum sort of valve or sumthing.

can anyone please shed sum light on this??
can it be fixed??

much apreciated THANKS:)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
vacuum leak somewhere, check the small hose that comes off the throttle body and goes to a t-piece, 1 hose will go to the vac res (under the front of the guard behind the bumper, black ball thing) check the hoses and res for cracks/perishing/damage.

check the other hose coming from the t-piece that goes to the firewall for the same.

there will be a small whitish round 1 way valve near all this to, check it for cracks, take it out and see if you can blow air thru it 1 way and not the other to make sure it's working correctly.

can you hear a continual hissing noise from behind the dash when you have a position selected? (not when changing the vents as this is normal) could be a vacc leak behind the dash.

if there is a problem with the black ball res, you can by-pass it, 90% of the people out there will say "NOOOO, It won't work, you must have it!" but this works and i have done it on about 5 cars that i have owned in the past and everything worked fine at idle, hard and light acceleration.
take the t-piece out of the equation, use the smaller piece of hose and feed it directly to the 1 way valve (make sure it's the correct way around so air can be sucked into the manifold away from the vent) and connect the other side to the pipe going into the firewall, either use this as a temporary measure until you can fix the res or as i have done on many occasions leave it like that permanently.