Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning Advice

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
hi all,
my vs aircon has been playing up for a while now. it seems to have a mind of its own and swaps, without warning, between the face and foot vents (when i have the climate control on both)
what i mean is that when i have both settings on (face and feet) the vents on the face dont work and all teh air goes through the ones at my feet. sometimes it opens up and sometimes it closes after that.
It has happened a few times when i hit a slight bump in the road but it doesn't only happen then so i can't seem to isolate the problem.
Also, i have not been able to get the rear vents nor the ones on teh door working, regardless of the face vents working or not.

sorry if this post is confusing and cheers in advance :)

james.

Hi there
I'm not sure if this would help you in your situation
But it my vt air would change from face to windscreen than back to face
Any way behind the radio i dissconnected the part that changes the direction of the air

Works great but only on face vents all the time now

pecksterism99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Had an issue with my VR Calais suddenly blowing hot air ---- check the ambient temperature reading first: mine was showing -8 degrees!

This made the climate cotnrol think it was freezing outside, hence it blew hot air.

Turned out to be just bad connection with the ambient (outside) temperature sensor, which is in front of the air-con condensor that sits in front of the radiator.

All I did was jiggle the plugs and it came right again.

AqaumarineVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I have replaced 2 vacuum motors(one for the face vents,the other for the feet)as the rubber bag was stuffed in them.Replaced the heater tap(was blowing hot air onto feet,even tho heater was turned off).I have checked every hose (AC & Heater) in the car.The Compressor kicks in when you have the fan on and turn on the switch;it makes a sucking sound from somewhere around the heater core/evaporator area,but no cold air comes out,only outside ambient air (have also noticed that the lines in engine bay don't get any condensation on them),is this a simple thing like getting a re-gas,or something pricier?i had it re-gassed bout 3yrs ago,but a pipe in the bay was stuffed,got it replaced,but i have a feeling old mate never topped the gas up...

AqaumarineVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Got my aircon checked out today;turns out the evaporator core is cactus(they used a bore score thru the Fan Resistor hole).Getting a new Evap.Core and Hetater Core,fitted,for $1083(dash out,new cores & re-gas).Only cost $30 to have the system checked out.Cold air,here i come:driving:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
ouch $1083
Got my aircon checked out today;turns out the evaporator core is cactus(they used a bore score thru the Fan Resistor hole).Getting a new Evap.Core and Hetater Core,fitted,for $1083(dash out,new cores & re-gas).Only cost $30 to have the system checked out.Cold air,here i come:driving:

AqaumarineVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
thats labour included(5hrs),and considering im not the poor sod that will be sweating pulling the dash out,im happy to pay that

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats labour included(5hrs),and considering im not the poor sod that will be sweating pulling the dash out,im happy to pay that

no probs,,i cut the brass pipes and mated the heater core in without taking out the dash<> 3hrs total cost $135 ,,,,,,$1080 is almost half the value of the car

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
no probs,,i cut the brass pipes and mated the heater core in without taking out the dash<> 3hrs total cost $135 ,,,,,,$1080 is almost half the value of the car

Thats definitely the easy way out if you just have a leaking heater core.Its too bad you cant get the A/C evaporator out in a similar way.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah im 100% happy i didnt have to do the A/C evaporator (then its dash out time)
Thats definitely the easy way out if you just have a leaking heater core.Its too bad you cant get the A/C evaporator out in a similar way.

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
about 15% to 25%

THE AC uses about 3kw of engine power to run the compressor. If that.

Hardly gonna add 15-25%. You'd be lucky to notice 5%