Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air conditioning problem

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Hi

Just after a quick bit of advice so I can limit having to see the mechanic.

It's bloody hot here in Adelaide, so tonight I went for a drive down to the beach (vy ss).

I had the aircon on most of the way, when I got down there I pulled into a bottle o left the car running with the a/c off. I noticed a strange whining/sqweeking noise.

I had a look and thought it was either a pulley or the water pump.

I just noticed tho that it starts when I turn the a/c on, and continues even after I turn the a/c off for a while or until I restart the car.

Any ideas? It sounds horrible. My air con hasn't been working all that well lately either.

Could it be the belt or a bearing or something?

Cheers

Last edited:

Android

Reaction score
Website
www.androidsnetwork.com
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY9.5
No expert on that one, but it sounds like the bearing on the pump. If it only happens when activated, and in theory, it should stop once the AC is switched off.

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
yeah thats my thinking. Maybe the compressor still needs to run for a while once the AC is switched off, hence the noise..?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sticky clutch.on the compressor pump

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Sorry to bump this thread but if the squeaking only occurs when the AC is on, would this be a compressor bearing, or could it be an idler due to the extra tension on the belt.

I replaced my belts today and the two idlers on the AC side had a tiny bit of play in them, like a mm.

Any advice would be great

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
I had to replace my aircon idler assy (tensioner as well) and belt to rid the chirping/squeak noise on my VZ V8. Give it a squirt of the old WD40 and see if it shuts up (itll only be temporary but helps in diagnosing)

robmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
I had to replace my aircon idler assy (tensioner as well) and belt to rid the chirping/squeak noise on my VZ V8. Give it a squirt of the old WD40 and see if it shuts up (itll only be temporary but helps in diagnosing)

I had tried that, and i didn't hear the noise start up, but this was only idling in the yard didnt take it for a spin. Did yours only squeak when the aircon was on and even then after turned off for a while?