Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air filter problem

Griz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7L
Hi, I purchased one of those Simota air filters for my VZ SS Gen III & installed it this morning (un-oiled).

Car starts fine & then instantly shuts down. I tried a couple more times, same thing. I took the Simota out, put my old filter back in and it starts and runs fine. Put the Simota back in and again starts fine and instantly shuts down.

Obvious air flow problem, but cannot figure out why. Any ideas?

Cheers

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
aaahhh, whats wrong with the leaving the original in it. What happens when you leave the filter out all together, does it run !
Still not wrapped in plastic is it,

Griz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7L
aaahhh, whats wrong with the leaving the original in it. What happens when you leave the filter out all together, does it run !
Still not wrapped in plastic is it,

Original is old & dirty & needs replacing so instead of getting a K&N, I thought I would give these a go as I have heard good things. Runs fine without the filter. I spoke to the manufacturer & they are couriering out a replacement.

And no, the plastic is not still on it.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
That's good mate that they are sending a replacement out. I wasn't been a smart ar*e mate when I mentioned having plastic on it.
Interesting to see how it pans out, Cheers

Griz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7L
That's good mate that they are sending a replacement out. I wasn't been a smart ar*e mate when I mentioned having plastic on it.
Interesting to see how it pans out, Cheers

All good mate. Even if you were serious about the plastic, I took no offence.

I had a mate a few months back who rang me in a panic because his car was doing the same thing & he had to leave in 45 mins for a driving holiday. I raced over, asked him what he did and he said all he did was replace the air filter. I took the cover off & you guessed it, he left the plastic on.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I'm curious now as well , it sounds like it was installed correctly but I wonder why your car was stalling

Griz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7L
I'm curious now as well , it sounds like it was installed correctly but I wonder why your car was stalling

No idea as to why. The place I got it from are stumped as well, never happened before. A couple of mates who are mechanics had a look at it last night & have no answer. They are thinking it is a faulty filter as on of them stuck it in his VZ & it did the same thing.

Will wait & see what happens when the courier drops the other one off today.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Got any pics of said filter? What happens when you blow through it, does it pass through easily like normal?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I wonder if anybody else has had a problem with the simotas filter in a Commodore V8 or V6 for that matter

Griz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7L
Got any pics of said filter? What happens when you blow through it, does it pass through easily like normal?

Seems to be a bit restrictive with air passing through it. Used the compressor & it didn't seem to pass through as easily as the standard one.

The place I got it from seems to think it may be a manufacturing fault, although they haven't come across it before.

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 115