Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air filters

yosy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5.0
Does anyone know of anyone that has used a dyson vacume filter in place of the current filter media setup? would it even work ?

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Is the vaccume filter as fine as a normal car filter?

yosy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5.0
there is no filter media the dyson filter creates a vortex that swirls in circles greating enough g-forces to expel any particals out of the vortex even as small a ciggie smoke
so it is strait throughish

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
are you for real man?!...why the hell would you even risk something like that...its just not worth it.

yosy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5.0
Cause it might be far less restiction than a filter and remove more than a filter
maby :unsure:

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Sounds interesting in theory.
But I dont think I'd like to try it out on my car. . . .

yosy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5.0
Thats why i wanted to see if any one had already done it lol
:D

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
dont think so, its true that dyson suck in a good way [ top of the line ] but remember that vacume cleaners fun full flow the whole time they're on, also dyson still have a small disc filter for the micro stuff.

but i feel that the g-forces from normal driving not to mention the varying flow [ traffic lights anyone? ] would mean this setup wont work too well, though on a smaller scale to the dyson ones it might. other than that the closest i've seen is the dust filter pods on the old landcruisers etc [ sucked air from underneath though swirling fins which throws fine dust to the side ] allowing the normal pre-filtered air to go down the snorkle.

IanG

Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Wagon
That's defiantly thinking out-side the square. As a primary filter I think (I really do) the turbulence might upset the MAF sensor. How about using the idea as a pre-filter, especially on cold air intakes mounted under the front guard as they're more likely to pickup crap. It would have to be driven by ram air because the motor noise would drive you insane. A whirly bird type of set-up in the beginning of the pipe could be used maybe. [Mount it next to your solar panel hot water system] That would allow the air to straighten out before it hits the main filter. The dirt could be vented through holes in the pipe. I wonder if the cyclonic effect might help suck air into the pipe. :my: It might be easier to make some sought of venturi.

A canister vacuum pushes dirt into the canister, which will then become trapped as filters in the canister prevent it from getting out. Tiny holes in the filter allow air to flow through but are small enough to trap tiny particles of dirt and dust.

The problem with these models is that the filters act as the preventing device to block dirt. These filters, however, get dirty themselves. As a bag fills up or a canister vacuum is used, the filters become too dirty to be effective. A dirty filter means that air passages become blocked, which can also cause up to 50% power reduction in the suction from the vacuum.

The way a Dyson vacuum cleaner works is different from these other vacuums, as it doesn’t depend on the filters as it cleans. The cyclone technology inside the vacuum works on the same principle as a cyclone does. The air whirls around the inside of the vacuum, like a tornado. As it does, dirt and dust that enters the vacuum cleaner are pushed outward, away from the continuing air stream. By the time the air is traveling through the filters, there is no more dirt in the air, so it never loses suction

Last edited:

yosy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5.0
Thats what i thought you would be able to make a non restricted filtered air flow:D