Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Flow Air Filters

Fisho72

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S 3.8 5-Spd
Hi All,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a standard VN V6 airbox filter that is low restriction and high flow ?

I have read Unifilter build a good unit with up to 25% less restriction that standard paper filters.

I run a side mount raptor and suffering from air flow due to the paper element filter and need some options.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Just do a 2 hole "style" mod to your airbox and drop in a K&N filter for ease of servicing

I'm running 500hp through a modified OEM VX SS airbox and K&N

I bought one of the MACE "CAI" for mine, I installed it, looked at it, hated how it looked, and hated how it fitted, then put my OEM modified airbox back on, the modified OEM box looks 100x better, and blocks off engine bay heat better as well

As for the MACE item, you could make one typical to it for under $50 with a better composite material, and better CAD (cardboard assisted design) with some basic hand tools

To say I was kicking myself after unboxing then fitting the MACE "CAI" would be an understatement

The MACE "CAI" ended up being thrown into the bin in a self flagellation type of rage

Looks stock????
20210428_131128.thumb.jpg.3342bc8e71cdda9e0c96ec8193ea9ef6-1.jpg

Chop chop
20210831_174246_resized-1.jpg
20220609_150554.thumb.jpg.27b580d11782490e213a2ac920720372.jpg

I thought about making a cover like the one in the picture below, but as there were no actual gains, because there were no actual restrictions (tested by removing the OEM airbox lid and K&N air filter on the dyno) I decided to cut that idea away and kept the "it's stock" look
0e53602e-a8c4-439f-89c1-a4a9c0ed3d6b.medium.thumb.jpg.f2aae5c63b9cde1f35e8800693c93d9d.jpg

The only thing I may do is get a stainless intake pipe made up to replace the silicone pipe from the blower to the airbox (painted wrinkle black for the "it'sstock" look), and that is only to get more induction noise and blower whine

I've found stainless intake pipes give that bit of extra audible goodness over silicone with turbo setups, I'm hoping it does the same with a PD

In other news, the AIT with a OTR was higher than the modified airbox by about 5°C IIRC

I use a scan gauge to monitor AIT

20221023_095550.thumb.jpg.bd46ca0150ea486b3d5a42bc7b40858c.jpg

Opinion may vary

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just do a 2 hole "style" mod to your airbox and drop in a K&N filter for ease of servicing

I'm running 500hp through a modified OEM VX SS airbox and K&N

I bought one of the MACE "CAI" for mine, I installed it, looked at it, hated how it looked, and hated how it fitted, then put my OEM modified airbox back on, the modified OEM box looks 100x better, and blocks off engine bay heat better as well

As for the MACE item, you could make one typical to it for under $50 with a better composite material, and better CAD (cardboard assisted design) with some basic hand tools

To say I was kicking myself after unboxing then fitting the MACE "CAI" would be an understatement

The MACE "CAI" ended up being thrown into the bin in a self flagellation type of rage

Looks stock????
View attachment 255870
Chop chop
View attachment 255866View attachment 255865

I thought about making a cover like the one in the picture below, but as there were no actual gains, because there were no actual restrictions (tested by removing the OEM airbox lid and K&N air filter on the dyno) I decided to cut that idea away and kept the "it's stock" look
View attachment 255874

The only thing I may do is get a stainless intake pipe made up to replace the silicone pipe from the blower to the airbox (painted wrinkle black for the "it'sstock" look), and that is only to get more induction noise and blower whine

I've found stainless intake pipes give that bit of extra audible goodness over silicone with turbo setups, I'm hoping it does the same with a PD

In other news, the AIT with a OTR was higher than the modified airbox by about 5°C IIRC

I use a scan gauge to monitor AIT

View attachment 255873

Opinion may vary

VN stock airbox is a lot smaller. A lot less desirable than what you have done.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If you have a joint that build enclosed car trailers around hit them up for some 3 mm aluminium composite panel

I used some to duct air under my front bar, on side is black, the other is white, helps alot with the efficiency of the heat exchanger stack as all air is feed to trans cooler, condenser and radiator, before the air would go to where the least resistance was, through the front bar, stack up on the heat exchangers, then exit under the car between the front bar and stack, now there is nowhere else to go but through the heat exchanges

Like this stuff > https://www.bunnings.com.au/3mm-com...lhTngQNAwHUzuitv6AxoCVzIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I think I paid about $20 for a 1200 x 400 offcut

To bend angles you just score it and bend on a straight edge, you can even form curves with a heat gun and use some PVC pipe the diameter you want the curve

20201221_173739.thumb.jpg.98db16e85e18c20c2f49e7187c517e9a.jpg

It is now painted rattle can matt black

It also works great for building budget underbody aero panels on race cars, it does need some stand off around exhausts though because of the poly base

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had a Mace on a VR V6 and it was brilliant, made a decent difference on a basically stock engine. I highly recommend them.