Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AIr intake issues

despo

V Fast S furious
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Sv6
put an air intake into my vs the other day and just wanna make sure ive done it all right. atm its just got the normal holden air intake device with a BCM high flow filter and noticing not to much difference and when i turn the car on the temp reading is very high than usual and never seems to reach the 'C' marker. also not sure how air even gets in to the intake entrance as the gap in the bonned in tinny
any tips please guys
GetAttachmentaspx434.jpg

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
looks normal from here just make sure there are no gaps between the snorkel and the tube that goes into the airbox. alot of people open the mouth of the snorkel by cutting it to increase the size.

BoNeZ-01

"..of mice and men.."
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 50th Anniversary
If you didn't have the temp problem before your cold air intake install, check to make sure you haven't accidentally bumped and damaged or displaced any of the coolant temp sensor connectors for the fan.
An air intake block or restriction can 'sometimes' increase running temps, make sure the air can flow freely from the mouth, right to the air box bottom half.
Apart from that, I can't think of anything else right now.. :/

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
and to add another point, does the vs have any rubber attached to the underside of the bonnet that could block the cai? i know my vp had this small piece of rubber that would have conveniently blocked the opening of the cai if i didn't take it off.

somefool

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
1991 VN 'S', 1997 Ford Laser 1.6
indeed the rubber thing across the bonnet opening, i removed it when i installed the CAI. it would be quite the air inhibitor

despo

V Fast S furious
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Sv6
ok well i got the air compressor out the other day and checked for leaks and all seemed fine and ill check the bonet to see wat their but from memory it has the rubber part but nothing to large to block it i would had thought..does it look to far back and cant get my head around how air gets into the small gap tho

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
LOL. these are average at best. the super6 CAI has major heat soak issues. a home made job is better.

i'd only recommend the super6 CAI for a VN/VP as the grill area is open to get cool air into the CAI

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Have motor running hood open you should be able to hear a loud sucking sound then close hood you should still be able to hear it sucking.
One would think if the hood was blocking off the intake then the car would be starving for air and mybe cutting out.
The pic of yous looks the same as mine.
I have taken off the plastic strip in front of the radiator.

Attachments

• bccc3..jpg
    bccc3..jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:

ss905l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx SS 6 speed, VE SSV 6speed
definately sounds like the rubber strip hasnt been removed from the bonnet, from memory it has plastic clip buttons holding it on.