Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air intake noise improvement

superiornz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey guys,

I wanted to put in a pod filter in my VE Omega purely for the induction sound you get from them. I wanted to do it properly with the proper intake pipe and a cold air box but i must admit, i under estimated the cost and is bit out my budget for now.

However, i remember in my old nissan v6, my friend removed a 'resonator' box which i believe is something to do with the airfilter box, which dramatically increased the 'roar' when you give it gas. Is this possible with the VE's?

Cheers

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
What sort of a budget are you looking at ????
The reason why I am asking is that if you are patient on eBay, proper OTRCAI (used) can often be bought for less than $300.

I bought an ORSOM one for $220 (Plus $20 Shipping) which supports MAF and MAFLess, and I bought another OTRCAI, a RUSSO for $200 a couple of months back (MAFLess only).

The ORSOM one included a MAF, and the K&N Filter, in fantastic condition.
The RUSSO one came with a K&N Filter (Needed cleaning), and it was painted in a blueprint colour, but otherwise in excellent condition.

If that is in your budget then I would consider looking at these options. (A decent pod filter is going to cost you almost $100 in itself).
Some good 3" flexi piping will cost you $30. Brackets and misc will cost you $10, and mucking around trying to fit the thing, and make it look nice will take you the better part of a day..

Just keep in mind though, if you mess around too much with the intake,your ECU may start throwing codes.
(If you keep your MAF roughly in the same position / distance from the throttle body, this shouldn't happen, but there is always that possibility)...
If you are going to go the OTRCAI route, 99% chance you will need a tune...

Hope this helps

ssv430hp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute
if your not really looking to get a tune the growler is probably a pretty good bet. its completely enclosed and makes a pretty noticable difference in sound. very easy install is a plus.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
growler is way over priced - use the mace cai

Matt_27

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE
Get an air hammer. As above said. Mace sells them

Titleist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE s2 SSV
i got an airhammer on my SSV , induction noise is sick..
much more noise than the OTR because i recon the OTR flows the air alot cleaner , where the airflow in the airhammer is a bit turbulent causing the extra airflow noise...
certainly more throttle response and intake noise compared to the stock intake , and no tune required , so im happy...