Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Intake Restriction on 190kw

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Just cant justify that 600 bucks for some cheap ass plastic and a pod filter inside the growler intake. Ill be waiting a while till they come down, plus they make **** all difference.

SVSix

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Commodore A5
benzor said:
SS Inductions, or as they are affectionately know, "SS Reductions", don't make a terribly good kit for the SV6.

I've got an alloytec 175 pipe and a pod (hanging off by 190 engine), and its loud and the pickup is a bit better. I'm also running MAFless atm, as I noticed this dropped my 1/4 mile times from 15.9 to 15.5.

What I'd reccomend doing is the MCAI and 2nd hole mod. Seeming as the SV6 has the same airbox as the SS, you can fit this

There is some hacking required to make it fit in however, but nothing too major.

http://www.users.on.net/~pedroj/ute/vy_ute_airbox.html

Details there.

How did you get away with running MAFless on your SV6?
And, did it make much of a power difference using the 175 intake hardware?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
VZonetonnerS said:
a holden mechanic told me putting a exhaust or a cai on my ute wouldnt do much as the computer would recognise the extra air flow and cut down power,but he also said they could adjust the computer settings at the dealer ship to change this still under warranty

The dealer can do no such thing with the engine management in these cars

Rob

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
SVSix said:
How did you get away with running MAFless on your SV6?
And, did it make much of a power difference using the 175 intake hardware?

I wouldnt say "power" difference, because I don't have a dyno. But where it seemed to struggle before, it pulled right through.

Going MAFLess on a manual is easy. Remove the MAF :)

Reset PCM, computer reads off the MAP. Better times without the MAF :)

H

Holden_Mechanic

if the fuel consumption is really bad and nothing like what the dealer sold it to u as, take it back. its warranty

Kartbro said:
Gday fellas, I got a 2005 Adventra with the 6 in it, I do a lot of kays (had it 2 weeks done 3000kms) and im looking for ways to improve my fuel economy. The CAI systems available are claiming 11-15kw at the rear wheels, where are the improvements made? The growler kit seems to draw air from behind the headlight, wheres the cold air coming from there? The inlet pipe from the MAF sensor to the throttle has a set of tubes coming off of it that hang down behind the radiator area? Anyone know the point of these? I figure if i cut the inside out of the roof of the airbox and provide another inlet to the box it should flow pretty well? I am just reluctant to spend 400+ bucks on a system i can build myself or modify the stock one.

Just lookin for some ideas.

alimpyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ UTE 3.6 M6
i bought the growler kit and i'v had it for say 20'000km's and well if it wasnt for that kit i would have sold my car a long time ago. 3.6L v6's sounds wofle when stock, adding the kit changed the cars whole characteristics. i'v never dynod the car but i know its responds quicker and uses a hell of a lot less fuel.
one thing though, i have a 175 exec ute, maybe if u have the S or SS bumper it might not work as well? if u live in melbourne and u want to hear it for urself i'm quite happy to show ya.
ps i DONT work for ss inductions

molantz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 A5
alimpyer said:
<snip>... i'v never dynod the car but i know its responds quicker and uses a hell of a lot less fuel. </snip>

Thats great to hear, what kinda fuel savings are you seeing in city/freeway?

alimpyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ UTE 3.6 M6
u can easily get fuel consumption down to 8.5L/100km. thats travelling from beaumaris to port melbourne in peak hour. bout 17km's