Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Airconditioner gas

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
sounds like you found the right guy at that rate

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
LPG based gasses like Emgas m30, m50, m60 r134y etc are mean't to be a drop in gas but over 3 years of playing with it for Lidcombe ice on the Tuggerah depot, the thermoking freezers on the trucks etc, these are the things I've learn't.
1 never be complacent with it, esp if you smoke in your car!!!!
2. for it to pull down in temp the same as 134a (or you can drop in r12 in it's place if you can find it) your need to increase compression power by 67%
3. it seems after 6-12 months to react with the oil in the system and then perform worse and worse and worse.
4. nobody really know's stuffall about the lpg gasses
5. there are no tx valves etc make especially for lpg based gasses and it can be a pain to get it right.
6. upgrade your condenser, you really need to pull the heat out of the gas really efficiently before it has reached the bottom of the condenser and become a liquid again or it'll go out on head pressure and just back off in pulling down in temp.

since the scrapping of the carbon tax, 134a isn't anywhere as dear as it was. Stick with what the system was designed for and it'll perform how it was intended.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Common sense to start with, if you can smell an LPG leak in your car would you light up a dart? same thing, there's a chemical added for this reason.

Rest sounds like propaganda and every excuse i heard when asking for it to be put into a car many years ago, finally found someone and the car 3 years on has awesome a/c, no compressor failure or any other explosions.

Sure there are video's out there when you fill a cabin with all that is held in the system and then light it...... but chances of this happening are like winning the lotto twice in a row (and most that show what can happen have the 300-400g of gas dumped directly into the cabin before ignition.... not going to happen in a rl situation)

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
LPG based gasses like Emgas m30, m50, m60 r134y etc are mean't to be a drop in gas but over 3 years of playing with it for Lidcombe ice on the Tuggerah depot, the thermoking freezers on the trucks etc, these are the things I've learn't.
1 never be complacent with it, esp if you smoke in your car!!!!
2. for it to pull down in temp the same as 134a (or you can drop in r12 in it's place if you can find it) your need to increase compression power by 67%
3. it seems after 6-12 months to react with the oil in the system and then perform worse and worse and worse.
4. nobody really know's stuffall about the lpg gasses
5. there are no tx valves etc make especially for lpg based gasses and it can be a pain to get it right.
6. upgrade your condenser, you really need to pull the heat out of the gas really efficiently before it has reached the bottom of the condenser and become a liquid again or it'll go out on head pressure and just back off in pulling down in temp.

since the scrapping of the carbon tax, 134a isn't anywhere as dear as it was. Stick with what the system was designed for and it'll perform how it was intended.

I won't disagree with your experience and i do agree that systems are not factory designed to run hydrocarbon....

However as they say if no one starts using it then the industry will not change and keep us using expensive patented man-made gases when in fact there is a perfectly good and cheap natural source thats better for our health and the environment.

i'm sure youve heard about the research with r134a and testicular cancer in mice...:eek:

And as for smoking in the car, who smokes with the windows up and the air con on at the same time as all refrigerant is somehow vented into the cabin all at once?? Very implausible scenario...

Last edited: