Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloy trim parts

To paint or not to paint

• Purchase pre painted items totalling $80

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Paint them myself

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Steering wheel spokes are 92147964 set me back $40 and you may want to get them fitted by the dealer.

It really is quite an easy job to do your own, you just need to take your time removing the steering wheel. The first time i did mine (i've done a few now) i had the wheel off, spokes changed and back on within the hour, and that was taking my time.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
He's not dumb, holden don't make the satin chrome vents. They are just air brushed on, i got mine off ebay for $40 new or you can do your own if you wish but i couldn't be fagged.

I thought they were standard on SS and Calais. I went across the dealer's used car yard to see what they had and there was an SS ute and sedan with satin chrome air vents, which was why I asked for them - I thought the satin chrome would be Holden genuine.

It really is quite an easy job to do your own, you just need to take your time removing the steering wheel. The first time i did mine (i've done a few now) i had the wheel off, spokes changed and back on within the hour, and that was taking my time.

I am just a bit concerned about having to take the air bag off but I guess the method you linked to looked pretty simple anyway so I will give it a crack

commodore2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
I have a VZ Berlina , and when i changed my spokes i never removed the steering wheel , just the earth off the battery , ive cut and pasted this from my earlier post on the removal.

When i did mine i didnt remove the wheel,i just removed the 2 screws holding the wheel backing then levered off the plastic behind each spoke there is a clip holding them in place.
When the backing is lose rotate it enough to get to the screws holding the spokes on you will need a short philips.
good luck its not that hard just take your time.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I have a VYII Berlina and i'm going to paint a few things.
  • Main Console Trim
  • Speedo Cluster Surround
  • Side Air Vents
  • Wheel Spokes

I'm not to sure on how to remove the wheel spokes, side air vents or speedo surround. The how-to for removing the wheel didn't work so any help is great.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have a VYII Berlina and i'm going to paint a few things.
  • Main Console Trim
  • Speedo Cluster Surround
  • Side Air Vents
  • Wheel Spokes

I'm not to sure on how to remove the wheel spokes, side air vents or speedo surround. The how-to for removing the wheel didn't work so any help is great.

What part didn't work for you?
The side air vent can be removed by removing the door trim, i have a thread in the how to's section of the forum on this. Not so sure about the speedo surround though.

commodore2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
No need to remove the door trim ,your only making the job a lot harder for your self.
Just remove the interior door handles , first remove the plastic cover over the screw inside the handle, remove the door handle by sliding it backwards then reach in towards the vent with your middle finger you will feel a spring clip on the side of the vent , push it in and remove the vent should be able to do both in only 5 minutes . don't make extra work for your self.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
No need to remove the door trim ,your only making the job a lot harder for your self.
Just remove the interior door handles , first remove the plastic cover over the screw inside the handle, remove the door handle by sliding it backwards then reach in towards the vent with your middle finger you will feel a spring clip on the side of the vent , push it in and remove the vent should be able to do both in only 5 minutes . don't make extra work for your self.

Hardly extra work considering door trims take 2 mins to remove.:whistling

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Ok thanks, i'll have a look at the how to for the vents. I know i've seen it somewhere. I haven't tried to take any parts off yet but just wanted to know how so my chances of breaking something are reduced.

For the bit above where the air vents are (where a gauge pod is fitted), do you just use a flat head screwdriver around the edges? As you can see I have no idea.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
For the bit above where the air vents are (where a gauge pod is fitted), do you just use a flat head screwdriver around the edges? As you can see I have no idea.

Yep, use a small flat blade screwdriver with a bit of rag so you don't scratch your panel.

commodore2004

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
Hardly extra work considering door trims take 2 mins to remove.:whistling

For a start you have to remove the door handles, there's no need to go any further,
Why remove the whole door trim when you don't have to, besides it would take more than 2 minutes ,then you have to put it all back together again . and there's always a chance some thing might be broken.