Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec 190: Better Fuel Economy on 91?

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
I've usually run 95 or 98 RON in my Adventra LX6, to keep the engine clean, and to try to get better economy.

I had an ECU tune (by the guy who is reputed to be the gun at this), and asked about whether it could be tuned to run optimally on 95 or 98.
"It'll be tuned to whatever's in the tank", I was told.
Since the tank as full of 95 RON at the time, I thought that was OK.

Experience later showed that the ECU tune noticeably improved power and response, but did nothing for the fuel economy.

Sometime later, I tried a tank of 91, and to my surprise, although there was a little less oomph, the economy was measurably better overall.
Judging from the instant economy readout on the dash, it seems that running with 91 uses a *lot* more fuel than with 95 or 98 when I'm accelerating or powering uphill, but a bit less when I'm dawdling along at, say, 60 on the level, or cruising along at highway speeds.
A tank of 91 is cheaper, and gives me, on average, an extra 50 km or so.

I know that the Alloytec was designed to run on 91, but this doesn't seem to make sense.
Shouldn't I be getting better economy from a higher octane?
Maybe it's a quirk of my driving style or my particular Adventra (In addition to the tune, I have some small mods - a Growler CAI & a manifold insulator)

Has anyone else had an experience like this?
I'm puzzled.

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I have the 190 in an SV6. I tried over decent periods of time running the different fuels. I found 95 to get the most km/l and stuff all difference with the 98. 91 isn't quite as economical as the 95 but when you factor the difference in price compared to fuel used, its actually cheaper to run it on 91.
That is just my opinion, I wonder what some others have to say.

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Interesting I have manifold spacer(12mm) and CAI, and run 98oct a few times have had to run 95oct and defiantly lose around 200km per tank around town, following week same driving run 98 BP and gain 200/250 km per tank on highway around same difference..

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Is the 91 you are using straight petrol or the usual E10 as all cars use more fuel when using ethanol.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Is the 91 you are using straight petrol or the usual E10 as all cars use more fuel when using ethanol.

I tried E10 for 1 tank, but it seemed inferior.

Just normal 91. I think it might have something to do with how the Alloytec copes with the 2 tonne weight of my Adventra.
Going uphill, the economy is way worse on 91. There's a hill I go up on the way home, and I have a standard speed I like to take it at.
With 95 or 98, the economy hits 28 L/100km. With 91, it hits 45 L/100km!
On the flat, if I'm easy on the foot, with 95/98, I can hit 9.5-10.5 km/100L, but it's hard to get better.
With 91, however, I can, again being easy on the foot, get 7.5-8.5 km/100L.

I realise the ECU learns a fuel type, and one tank is barely enough for it to adjust.
These figures are after multiple-tank run-ins and many observations.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Interesting I have manifold spacer(12mm) and CAI, and run 98oct a few times have had to run 95oct and defiantly lose around 200km per tank around town, following week same driving run 98 BP and gain 200/250 km per tank on highway around same difference..

If you're only doing one tank of 95, wouldn't the ECU still be adjusting?
Still, 200 km is a heck of a big difference!
How km do you get to a tank with 98?

Group C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Around town a tank of 98 will net me a average range of 700ish Interstate travel on cruise @110/115km/h will get a tad under 1,100km
If you're only doing one tank of 95, wouldn't the ECU still be adjusting?
Still, 200 km is a heck of a big difference!
How km do you get to a tank with 98?