Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec Engine Covers Painted

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
@impulsesv6: Lovely work. Can you tell me what chems or primers you used to prepare the plastics for paint? What kinds of thinners did you use? Did your thinners somewhat melt the plastics at all? I ask because many years ago I tried to paint some plastics and the thinners I used seemed to melt the plastics surface. Almost like acetone does. I think I used toluene from memory but I could be wrong. I would like to do the same on my Calais. Though because my Calais is silver its not not going to have the same contrasting effect your engine bay now has. the idea is to just neaten things up.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
@impulsesv6: Lovely work. Can you tell me what chems or primers you used to prepare the plastics for paint? What kinds of thinners did you use? Did your thinners somewhat melt the plastics at all? I ask because many years ago I tried to paint some plastics and the thinners I used seemed to melt the plastics surface. Almost like acetone does. I think I used toluene from memory but I could be wrong. I would like to do the same on my Calais. Though because my Calais is silver its not not going to have the same contrasting effect your engine bay now has. the idea is to just neaten things up.

just any sort of plastic primer. give it a good clean with dishwashing liquid, as it removes the waxes and crud, then air dry. once its completely dry, wipe over it with thinners or turps i used, and that should dry in a couple of secs/ mins, then apply the primer and when thats dry, do the colour. imo, i didnt use primer, only paint and it has not peeled or bubbled anywhere, except the parts i did prime first, which is quite wierd...

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
thanks heaps for that man. Im going to get right onto it, well once i have done some plastic welding as I have now broken a little piece of the corner of one of them off. I had them on the floor of shed and walked in the shed at night with the light off thinking I could navigate around and stupid me stood on one of the covers. im pretty sure i can fix it though without leaving any obvious evidence of it injury :-( again thanks for the help there dude!!! :D