Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec engine covers

Walks_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
G'day all,

I know a few months back a thread already went around in regards to painted engine covers and after seeing vzsv6's covers it inspired me to have a go at mine. They came up a treat and after seeing mine, my brother insisted I do his on his VZ SS. I got all the supplies from supercheap auto.

Instructions (this was just what i did, i am not a spraypainter by trade so I am sure that there is a more correct way)

1. clean covers with wax and grease remover (brand was septone)

2. spray covers with plastic primer (brand was powerplus)

3. sprayed allotec insignia silver and resprayed silver highlights - 2 coats(brand was powerplus)

4. masked off silver highlights and sprayed remaining area with red paint - 4 coats (brand was powerplus)

In between coats i lighlty sanded with fine grade paper.

I am happy with the results and so far (about 2 months) the paint has not faded or cracked.

Last edited:

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
looks good mate, is it easy to take the covers off?

sting ls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Clubsport ls2 A4
just pull the covers' up and they will come off.

nightmare

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hmm looks awesome. Think Blue/Black would look gr8

D

DA_VZ_UTE

Heat Loss

The covers look great. I hate to put a damping on the thread but research i've completed into heat loss and heat transfer on the alluminium intake clearly showed that by taking the covers off it will reduce the temp by up to 25% when idle and nearly 20% when cruise'n at 60kms. I would like to see someone modify one to let air circulate better under or through the covers.

Once again sorry for the bad news.... looks good though!

V

VZSV6

DA_VZ_UTE said:
The covers look great. I hate to put a damping on the thread but research i've completed into heat loss and heat transfer on the alluminium intake clearly showed that by taking the covers off it will reduce the temp by up to 25% when idle and nearly 20% when cruise'n at 60kms. I would like to see someone modify one to let air circulate better under or through the covers.

Once again sorry for the bad news.... looks good though!
i have tried both ways i have not noticed any dramatic loss of power of fuel cosumption. i had mine of for 2 months could not tell the difference. maybe cause of the growler kit

Attachments

• VZSV6EngineBay1.jpg
    VZSV6EngineBay1.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 4,917

sting ls2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Clubsport ls2 A4
DA_VZ_UTE said:
I would like to see someone modify one to let air circulate better under or through the covers.
I like this way for the covers,maybe get the rocker covers hpc coated,a lot of heat does come from there.

Attachments

• toranaeng.jpg
    toranaeng.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 4,294
D

DA_VZ_UTE

brettsv6 said:
DA_VZ_UTE said:
I would like to see someone modify one to let air circulate better under or through the covers.
I like this way for the covers,maybe get the rocker covers hpc coated,a lot of heat does come from there.

Nice covers... the vents at the front are a good idea and surely would help with heat transfer. The intake i tested was on a 175 with no coating. I've noticed the 190 has a coating and that might help as well... I'm thinking of insulating my intake completly and redoing the test and see was temps i get then.

I dont believe that by insulating the intake that i will notice any performance gains, but i do intend to do other work to the engine (ie supercharge, CAI and exstractors) and i believe that in the long run my engine will be better off with out the excess heat absorbtion.:driving:

mr_nismo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Sportwagon Manual
Hey Walks-SV6,

Where did your strut brace come from, it looks like a genuine part?
Is it from the SS?

Rod